Türkiye ready to provide troops for proposed Gaza stabilisation force, FM says

Türkiye ready to provide troops for proposed Gaza stabilisation force, FM says
A drone view shows severe destruction at Gaza’s main mental health hospital, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, Gaza, 27 October, 2025
Reuters

Türkiye is prepared to contribute troops to a proposed international stabilisation force for Gaza, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Thursday.

Fidan made the remarks at the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace, which convened in Washington under the chairmanship of U.S. President Donald Trump.

The Board of Peace is an international body designed to oversee stabilisation and reconstruction efforts in war-torn Gaza within the framework of a broader peace plan initiated by Trump last year.

Fidan also voiced Türkiye’s readiness to assist in the rehabilitation of Gaza’s health and education sectors and help train police forces in the embattled Palestinian territory.

Speaking to reporters, Fidan said Türkiye would continue to support U.S.-led efforts aimed at achieving “a just and lasting peace.”

He added, however, that Ankara “remains convinced that the foundation of such a peace is a two-state solution” to the decades-long dispute between Israel and the Palestinians.

“Let us work towards that objective for the benefit of all peoples of the region,” he said.

Fidan also warned that Gaza’s humanitarian situation remained dire and that ceasefire violations were continuing, calling for a “prompt, coordinated and effective response” to the crisis.

While he said Türkiye was ready to contribute troops to the proposed Gaza stabilization force, he did not provide specific figures.

Need for stability

Meanwhile, a handful of other countries - including Albania, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, and Morocco - have also pledged to contribute troops.

The proposed force is intended to promote stability and reconstruction in Gaza, where tens of thousands of Palestinians have been killed and much of the territory’s infrastructure reduced to rubble since the conflict began in late 2023.

While in Washington, Fidan also expressed Ankara’s hope that the United States would continue what he described as “genuine negotiations” with Iran.

According to Ankara’s top diplomat, negotiations could serve to avert “the need for a military operation or war” in the already volatile Middle East.

Tags