Uzbekistan and Georgia launch digital permits to speed up freight
Uzbekistan and Georgia have launched an electronic permit system for international road freight, replacing paper documents in a move aimed at speed...
A cholera outbreak in Sudan is at risk of spiralling further as fighting, mass displacement and the start of the rainy season make it harder to contain the disease, the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned.
The outbreak was declared on 27 June and has already claimed at least 114 lives. More than 1,300 people have been infected, with cases reported across several states, particularly in Darfur and Kordofan, where access for medical teams and aid workers remains severely restricted.
"Cholera is back," WHO representative in Sudan Shible Sahbani told reporters in Geneva via video link from Libya.
He warned the situation could deteriorate quickly.
"There is a case fatality rate of 13.7%, which is extremely high, and of course, the rainy season is expected to worsen the situation," Sahbani said.
Cholera is a highly infectious disease that causes severe diarrhoea and can be fatal if left untreated. It spreads rapidly in areas where access to clean drinking water and proper sanitation is limited.
Sudan is already facing what the WHO describes as the world's largest humanitarian emergency. More than 33 million people need humanitarian assistance, while around 21 million require healthcare.
Hospitals and clinics are struggling to cope after more than two years of conflict between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF). Many health facilities have been damaged or forced to close, leaving millions without access to basic healthcare.
The WHO is particularly concerned about the besieged city of al-Obeid, the capital of North Kordofan, where fighting has intensified and humanitarian access remains extremely limited.
Health facilities there are overwhelmed as medical staff struggle to treat growing numbers of patients with limited supplies.
Earlier this month, a United Nations official warned that al-Obeid risked becoming the scene of another human rights catastrophe, similar to what unfolded in al-Fashir, North Darfur, after a prolonged siege by the RSF.
Sahbani echoed those concerns.
"There is the risk that it will become the second al-Fashir, or even worse," he said.
With heavy rain expected in the coming weeks, aid agencies fear the outbreak could spread even faster, particularly among displaced families living in overcrowded camps with limited access to clean water and sanitation.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Malaysia is facing a sharp rise in dengue infections, with the capital Kuala Lumpur and the wider Klang Valley emerging as the main centres of concern.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s Ebola outbreak has surpassed 5,000 confirmed cases, with the death toll reaching 2,378, according to the latest government data.
The Democratic Republic of Congo says the number of confirmed Ebola cases has risen to more than 5,000, with more than 2,300 deaths. Delayed detection, weak surveillance, funding shortages and conflict have allowed the virus to spread faster than in any previous epidemic at the same stage.
Australia warned on Monday (3 August) of a wider spread of H5N1 bird flu after its first confirmed mass mortality event among seabirds killed about 50 greater crested terns off the coast of South Australia, south of Adelaide.
Cancer patients in Sudan are struggling to access life-saving treatment as soaring medication costs, power shortages and damaged hospital infrastructure deepen the country's healthcare crisis after more than three years of war.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment