London event spotlights Christian heritage of Caucasian Albania in Garabagh
An interactive map showcasing the Christian heritage of Caucasian Albania in Garabagh was presented in...
Jeff Bezos’ $10-billion Earth Fund has withdrawn its backing from the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), a key verifier of corporate climate goals, according to the Financial Times.
The decision follows internal complaints from SBTi staff about the Earth Fund’s potential influence over the organization, the FT reported. The move also comes amid broader criticism directed at SBTi, including from its own employees, over a decision last year to loosen rules on how companies can use carbon credits to offset their supply-chain emissions.
Some staff members questioned whether meetings hosted by the Bezos Earth Fund in London shortly before the rule changes could have influenced SBTi’s decision. Neither SBTi nor the Bezos Earth Fund responded to requests for comment outside regular business hours.
The Bezos Earth Fund is one of SBTi’s two main funders, alongside the IKEA Foundation, according to the organization’s website.
The timing of the withdrawal has also been linked to shifting political dynamics. The FT report suggests the move may be a response to policies favored by former President Donald Trump, who recently ordered the U.S. withdrawal from the Paris Agreement on climate action.
SBTi plays a significant role in assessing and verifying corporate commitments to reducing greenhouse gas emissions in line with the Paris Agreement targets. The group’s credibility has been challenged recently, with critics arguing that loosening carbon credit rules undermines the integrity of corporate climate reporting.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
More than 100 people were killed in a violent storm that battered India's most populous state, Uttar Pradesh, with rain and hail, the state Disaster Management and Relief office said on Thursday.
Climate change has driven a record surge in wildfires across Africa, Asia and other regions this year, with scientists warning that conditions are likely to worsen further as the northern hemisphere enters summer and El Niño weather patterns intensify.
Destruction of the world's tropical forests eased in 2025 from a record high, a report showed on Wednesday, underscoring how decisive policy can help keep trees standing despite pressures from a warmer climate and expanding agricultural frontiers.
Kazakhstan has ratified a regional green energy agreement with Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan, signalling Central Asia’s ambition to become a key supplier of renewable energy to international markets.
China’s growing use of electric and hydrogen-powered vehicles took centre stage at the Beijing Auto Show 2026, which opened on 24 April, highlighting the country’s expanding clean transport ambitions.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment