live Sustainable reconstruction on the agenda as WUF13 comes to a close in Azerbaijan
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum nears an end, Azerbaijan's Pavilion will showcase reconstruction efforts in its liberated territor...
Sean Combs’ ex-girlfriend Casandra Ventura, known as Cassie, offered harrowing testimony in a federal trial, accusing the music mogul of repeated physical abuse and coercion.
Rhythm and blues singer Casandra Ventura, widely known as Cassie, testified on Tuesday in the federal sex trafficking trial of Sean "Diddy" Combs, describing years of abuse and exploitation. Taking the stand as the prosecution’s key witness, she detailed how Combs allegedly beat her frequently, leaving her bruised and battered.
“He would bash my head, knock me over, drag me, kick me, stomp me in the head if I was down,” Ventura said, her voice trembling. Dressed in a brown outfit and visibly pregnant, she told jurors the violence was constant, calling it “too frequent” to count.
Combs, 55, has pleaded not guilty to five felony counts, including racketeering conspiracy, sex trafficking, and transportation to engage in prostitution. A conviction could lead to a mandatory minimum sentence of 15 years and possibly life in prison.
Prosecutors accuse Combs of manipulating women into relationships, coercing them into drug-fuelled sex parties—labelled "Freak Offs"—and recording the encounters to later use as blackmail. When women resisted, they say, he responded with violence.
During her testimony, Ventura said she participated in the parties out of fear. “I was confused and nervous but I also loved him very much and wanted to make him happy,” she added.
Combs’ defence, led by attorney Teny Geragos, has argued that the charges unfairly criminalise his consensual “swingers” lifestyle. Geragos acknowledged Combs’ past jealousy and temper issues but insisted these were unrelated to the allegations. “Domestic violence is not sex trafficking,” she told the jury. “He is not charged with being a flawed individual.”
Prosecutors also introduced a surveillance video from a Los Angeles hotel in 2016, showing Combs physically assaulting Ventura in a hallway. The footage, in which Combs appears to throw her to the ground and kick her, surfaced last year and prompted public condemnation.
Combs’ legal team contends the incident followed an argument over infidelity and claims Ventura has her own history of domestic disputes, suggesting an effort to challenge her credibility.
The trial, expected to last two months, will include testimonies from Ventura, other alleged victims, and former employees who prosecutors say assisted in orchestrating and concealing the abuse. Prosecutor Emily Johnson told the jury that victims would speak of being drugged, forced into humiliating situations, and subjected to Combs’ violent outbursts.
The defence maintains that all interactions were between consenting adults and that the case misrepresents the nature of Combs’ private relationships.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Spanish police in Catalonia have detained Jonathan Andic, the son of Mango fashion group founder Isak Andic, as part of an ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding his father’s death in December 2024, authorities said.
Spain’s High Court has cleared Colombian pop star Shakira of tax fraud and annulled a €55 million ($64 million) penalty imposed by Spanish tax authorities in 2021, according to a court document.
Eurovision Song Contest once again proved how unpredictable its outcome can be, with Bulgaria’s Dara turning a late surge into a dominant win while several expected contenders collapsed early. At the same time, the absence of the South Caucasus region from the final raised questions.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
The Eurovision Song Contest's final takes place in Vienna on Saturday, with the organisers hoping the annual show of glitz and Europop will be a success despite five countries' withdrawal over Israel taking part.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment