Lukashenko: Belarus won’t join Ukraine war but will defend with Russia
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow ...
U.S. federal prosecutors urged a judge on Tuesday to sentence Sean "Diddy" Combs to more than 11 years in prison this week following the hip-hop mogul's conviction on prostitution-related charges.
The prosecutors sought "at least 135 months' imprisonment" and asked the court to fine Combs $500,000, according the court filing.
U.S. District Judge Arun Subramanian is due to sentence Combs during a hearing on Friday in Manhattan.
Combs, 55, faces up to 20 years behind bars after a jury on 2 July found him guilty following a two-month trial on two counts of transporting male prostitutes across state lines to engage in drug-fueled sexual performances with his girlfriends while he watched and recorded video.
The jury acquitted Combs on the most serious counts he faced, racketeering and sex trafficking, charges that could have landed him in prison for life. Combs pleaded not guilty to all charges and is expected to appeal his conviction.
His defence lawyers last week urged the judge to impose a 14-month sentence, arguing Subramanian should not consider evidence of abuse by Combs of his former girlfriends because jurors acquitted him of coercing them into sex.
Under such a sentence, Combs would be released by the end of the year because he would be credited for the time already spent in jail at Brooklyn's Metropolitan Detention Center following his 16 September, 2024 arrest.
Combs founded Bad Boy Records and is credited with popularising hip-hop in American culture.
During the trial, prosecutors said Combs coerced two of his former girlfriends to take part in the performances, sometimes known as "Freak Offs."
Both women testified that Combs physically attacked them and threatened to cut off financial support if they resisted the encounters.
Lawyers for Combs argued there was no direct link between what they called domestic violence and the women's participation in the "Freak Offs", a strategy that ultimately resulted in their client's acquittal on the sex trafficking and racketeering counts.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
South Korea’s Samsung Electronics is facing its largest potential labour action in years, with tens of thousands of workers preparing for a prolonged strike over bonuses and profit-sharing at a time when the company is benefiting from a global artificial intelligence (AI) driven chip boom.
Spanish police in Catalonia have detained Jonathan Andic, the son of Mango fashion group founder Isak Andic, as part of an ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding his father’s death in December 2024, authorities said.
Spain’s High Court has cleared Colombian pop star Shakira of tax fraud and annulled a €55 million ($64 million) penalty imposed by Spanish tax authorities in 2021, according to a court document.
Eurovision Song Contest once again proved how unpredictable its outcome can be, with Bulgaria’s Dara turning a late surge into a dominant win while several expected contenders collapsed early. At the same time, the absence of the South Caucasus region from the final raised questions.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
The Eurovision Song Contest's final takes place in Vienna on Saturday, with the organisers hoping the annual show of glitz and Europop will be a success despite five countries' withdrawal over Israel taking part.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment