Germany's ruling party backs social media curbs for children
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital ve...
Russian drone and missile attacks on Kyiv early on Friday (9 January) killed at least 4 people, injured at least 19, and caused significant damage to residential buildings and critical infrastructure, Ukrainian officials said.
The strikes began just before midnight (2200 GMT), Tymur Tkachenko, head of Kyiv’s military administration, and Mayor Vitali Klitschko reported on Telegram.
Ukrainian officials said that Russia launched 36 missiles and 242 drones during Friday's attack as well as one hypersonic intermediate-range ballistic missile from Kapustin Yar.
Russia has confirmed it used an Oreshnik missile which Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said is a "grave threat" to European security.
Sybiha said that Kyiv was informing the United States, European partners, and other countries about the details of the strike through diplomatic channels.
"(Russia President Vladimir) Putin uses an IRBM (intermediate-range ballistic missile) near EU and NATO border in response to his own hallucinations — this is truly a global threat. And it demands global responses," he said.
Russia’s overnight strike on Kyiv also damaged the premises of the Qatari embassy, according to Sybiha, an action widely condemned as a violation of the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations.
He described the attack as a reminder of Russia’s disregard for international norms and pledged to provide full assistance to Qatari diplomats.
Sybiha called on Gulf States to respond both diplomatically and publicly to the strike.
Injuries included emergency responders; one medic was killed while attending a strike on a suburban apartment, with four crew members wounded.
Two apartment buildings on the east bank of the Dnipro River were heavily damaged, including the destruction of one building entrance and severe damage to a high-rise in a central district.
The attacks disrupted water supplies in some areas and caused fires across multiple districts, with one drone hitting a shopping centre and another falling near a medical facility. Kyiv remained under an air alert for several hours.
Another Russian strike reportedly targeted an infrastructure site in western Ukraine’s Lviv region.
The attacks come amid intense fighting along multiple frontlines.
The Russian Defence Ministry said in a statement that the strike was a response to an attempted Ukrainian drone attack on one of President Vladimir Putin's residences at the end of December.
Kyiv has called the Russian assertion that it tried to attack the residence, in Russia's Novgorod's region, "a lie."
Russia’s Defence Ministry recently claimed control of the Bratske settlement in Dnipropetrovsk region and said its forces were conducting operations across Sumy, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Dnipropetrovsk and Zaporizhzhia, striking Ukrainian energy and port facilities, drone storage sites, and temporary troop deployment points.
Ukrainian Commander-in-Chief Oleksandr Syrskyi described the Pokrovsk direction as the most critical sector of the frontlines, with around 50 engagements occurring daily.
He said Ukrainian forces maintained control over northern Pokrovsk despite Russian reinforcements attempting to advance.
Meanwhile, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Ukraine is preparing a document on U.S. security guarantees, to be finalised at the highest level.
Following peace talks in France, Zelenskyy reported that Ukrainian negotiators also discussed recovery, economic development, and a framework to end the conflict with U.S. and European partners.
The U.S. side will engage with Russia, and Ukraine expects feedback.
Ukrainian negotiators previously met with national security advisors from several European countries and White House envoy Steve Witkoff, alongside Jared Kushner, to discuss pathways to ending the war and providing security guarantees for Ukraine.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Gianni Infantino, president of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), announced a new partnership with the Board of Peace on Thursday (19 February), committing to build football pitches and arenas in Gaza as part of broader efforts to rebuild the region.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
India and Brazil signed a mining and minerals cooperation pact on Saturday (21 February), as Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the two countries aim to increase bilateral trade to more than $20 billion within five years.
The Russian Defence Ministry claimed on Saturday (21 February) that its forces had captured another settlement in eastern Ukraine.
President Donald Trump said on Friday (20 February) he will sign an executive order imposing a new 10% “global tariff” on imports. The development comes hours after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Trump's sweeping “reciprocal” import duties in a major setback to his trade agenda.
The U.S. military carried out a strike Friday (20 February) on a vessel allegedly engaged in narcotrafficking in the Eastern Pacific, according to the U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment