live Sustainable reconstruction on the agenda as WUF13 comes to a close in Azerbaijan
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum nears an end, Azerbaijan's Pavilion will showcase reconstruction efforts in its liberated territor...
Sean “Diddy” Combs was sentenced on Friday to more than four years in prison following his July conviction on prostitution-related charges.
The 55-year-old hip-hop mogul was found guilty of arranging paid escorts to travel across state lines for drug-fuelled sexual performances involving Combs’ girlfriends.
Combs, who founded Bad Boy Records and is credited with elevating hip-hop in American culture, was acquitted of more serious racketeering and sex trafficking charges, which could have carried a life sentence. He pleaded not guilty and plans to appeal the conviction. The sentence was handed down by U.S. District Judge Arun Subramanian in Manhattan federal court.
During the two-month trial, prosecutors argued Combs coerced two former girlfriends – singer Casandra Ventura and a woman known as Jane – into participating in performances through threats and physical abuse. Surveillance footage showed Combs kicking and dragging Ventura in 2016 after a performance. Jane testified that Combs attacked her last year and pressured her into sexual acts with a male escort.
Combs’ lawyers acknowledged past physical abuse but maintained the women consented to some of the sexual performances. Both women testified that they sometimes participated out of love and a desire to please him.
Combs’ defence argued for a 14-month sentence, noting he taught a six-week business and personal development course for fellow inmates at Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center, called “Free Game with Diddy.” Inmates wrote essays on lessons learned from Combs’ life. Lawyers also stressed his acquittal on sex trafficking and racketeering should limit how his abuse played into sentencing.
Prosecutors pushed for a longer term, citing federal guidelines that call for stricter penalties when offences involve threats or bodily harm. They pointed out that others convicted of violent, prostitution-related crimes regularly receive significant prison terms.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
South Korean workers manufacturing chips for Samsung Electronics are set to vote on a pay deal that could see some of them receive $416,000 in bonuses.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Nigeria’s anti-drug agency says it has dismantled a methamphetamine production syndicate in what officials describe as the country’s largest drugs seizure of its kind.
After many years, reams of regulatory paperwork and a well-timed presidential visit, Tesla has finally launched its Full Self-Driving (FSD) system in China, the world’s largest electric vehicle market and one in which competitors have been rapidly advancing their autonomous driving capabilities.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment