Swedish Air Force rangers train in Greenland as part of NATO-linked Arctic exercise
A platoon of Swedish Air Force Rangers is training in Greenland as part of the ongoing “Arctic Endurance” exercise, according to Sweden’s milita...
Italy is awaiting a ruling from UNESCO that could officially place its cuisine on the Intangible Cultural Heritage list, a recognition that would highlight the nation’s centuries-old culinary traditions. A final decision is expected on Wednesday (10 December).
The Intergovernmental Committee is meeting in New Delhi to decide whether Italy’s bid, strongly supported by the country’s culture and agriculture ministries, will succeed.
The proposal argues that Italy’s iconic dishes—from pasta and pizza to ossobuco and orecchiette—are more than just food. They represent a social ritual passed down through generations, forming an integral part of the country’s cultural identity.
Industry groups estimate UNESCO recognition could boost tourism by up to 8% in two years, adding 18 million overnight stays. Italian cuisine also connects 59 million residents with up to 85 million people of Italian descent worldwide.
Globally, the Italian food service market hit €251 billion ($293 billion) in 2024, or 19% of the global restaurant market, Deloitte said. But imitation products abroad cost Italy an estimated €120 billion annually.
In central Rome, the importance of preserving these traditions is important at ‘Le Cave di Sant’Ignazio – Da Sabatino’, a family-run restaurant now in its fourth generation. Owner Luigina Pantalone says the restaurant has maintained its character over decades, offering diners both continuity and a sense of home.
“So, this is a family restaurant. We are now in our fourth generation and it is family-run. We don't change because people like to feel at home, they like the contact with us and I have to say that this gives us enormous satisfaction,” Pantalone said.
Customers echo that sentiment, praising the consistency and authenticity of the dishes. Regular Marco Cesario highlighted the restaurant’s signature carbonara, describing it as “prepared to perfection, fully respecting the tradition of Roman cuisine.”
However, not everyone in Italy supports the bid to join UNESCO lists, which already feature almost 800 items including Italian opera singing and truffle hunting.
Alberto Grandi, a food historian, called the UNESCO candidacy "just a marketing operation" in an interview with website Mantovauno last month.
In his 2024 book 'La cucina italiana non esiste' ('Italian cuisine doesn't exist'), Grandi argued that many dishes considered traditional, including pasta alla carbonara, are relatively modern inventions influenced by foreign cultures.
Grandi's remarks have sparked a backlash from farmers' association Coldiretti, which called his claims "surreal attacks on national culinary tradition."
The UNESCO bid carries significance beyond individual restaurants. Pantalone notes that authentic Italian cooking faces growing pressure from imitation and global competition, with traditional recipes and ingredients increasingly at risk. Formal recognition would provide a framework to protect these culinary practices for future generations.
For restaurateurs such as Luigina Pantalone, owner of Rome's historic Da Sabatino, a UNESCO nod from Wednesday's meeting in India would be a source of pride.
"Authentic Italian cuisine needs to be protected," she said, recalling childhood days washing dishes with her brothers and proudly noting that she is the fourth generation of her family to run the restaurant.
Three-Michelin-star chef Massimo Bottura summed it up. "Italian cuisine is an ancient, daily, sacred ritual – the art of caring and loving without saying a word."
A successful listing would place Italian cuisine alongside France’s festive meals, Mexico’s ceremonial dishes, and Japan’s Washoku, recognising Italy’s food as part of humanity’s shared cultural heritage. For Rome’s restaurateurs and Italy’s cultural institutions alike, the decision represents both a matter of national pride and a safeguard for a treasured way of life.
Ruben Vardanyan has been sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Baku Military Court after being found guilty of a series of offences including war crimes, terrorism and crimes against humanity.
Canadian Prime Minister, Mark Carney, announced on 16 February that the Honourable Janice Charette has been appointed as the next Chief Trade Negotiator to the United States. She's been tasked with overseeing the upcoming review of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
The Pentagon has threatened to designate artificial intelligence firm Anthropic as a “supply chain risk” amid a dispute over the military use of its Claude AI model, according to a report published Monday.
Israeli airstrikes on southern Lebanon killed two people in 12 hours, Lebanon’s Health Ministry said on Tuesday.
Representatives of Ukraine, Russia and the United States are set to meet in Geneva for a third round of trilateral negotiations aimed at ending the nearly four-year war, even as both sides intensify military pressure on the ground.
Robert Duvall, the Oscar-winning actor renowned for his steely intensity and commanding performances in films including The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, has died at the age of 95.
Tourists from all over the world flock to Paris, France for elaborate Valentine’s Day proposals, with agencies reporting record bookings and luxury packages reaching up to €100,000.
Thousands of local residents and international visitors have gathered in northern Thailand for the 49th annual Chiang Mai Flower Festival, one of the city’s longest-running contemporary events.
More than 100 couples tied the knot at a mass civil ceremony in Lima, Peru on Thursday, ahead of Valentine’s Day. The Lima Metropolitan Municipality regularly holds community weddings to make civil marriage more accessible to local couples, provide legal protection and speed up the paperwork.
Egyptian archaeologists have uncovered a major prehistoric site in South Sinai dating back around 10,000 years, revealing layers of human activity carved into rock across millennia. South Sinai is the least populated governorate of Egypt.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment