Ukraine and allies boycott Paralympics opening over Russia and Belarus athletes
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 Mar...
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) granted 10 combined slots to Russian and Belarusian competitors, prompting political backlash.
“The community of Ukrainian Paralympians and the National Paralympic Committee of Ukraine are outraged by the cynical decision of the IPC to grant bipartite slots to Russia and Belarus,” the Ukrainian committee said in a statement, demanding that its flag not be displayed at the ceremony.
The Czech Paralympic Committee said it would also boycott the opening ceremony in solidarity, while some Polish officials confirmed they would stay away, calling the IPC decision “absolutely unacceptable.”
“Our representatives will not be present at the opening of the Games in Verona, we will not have a flag bearer in Cortina, and we will not be filming messages from athletes that were to be shown at the ceremony,” the Czech committee added.
Ukraine’s Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi has previously said Ukrainian officials would boycott the entire Games, although athletes from the country will still compete between 6-15 March.
The decision follows the earlier disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych, who wore a helmet commemorating athletes killed in the war.
The IPC said it was in direct contact with Ukraine’s Paralympic Committee and the matter would be discussed internally.
IOC president Kirsty Coventry confirmed that the potential return of Russian and Belarusian athletes had not been discussed with the International Olympic Committee and that attention remains on the final days of the ongoing Milano Cortina Games.
Currently, a limited number of Russian and Belarusian athletes are competing as neutral independents, without national flags or anthems, while the Olympic Committees of both nations remain sanctioned.
Russia has criticised the decision, saying it is wrong to mix sport and politics and that targeting disabled athletes is offensive.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
Aghdam’s Qarabag FK experienced a 6–1 defeat to England’s Newcastle United in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie in Azerbaijan's capital Baku Wednesday evening (18 February).
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and addressing global conflicts. It's drawn support from regional powers but refusals from several EU countries.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
Two Palestinians were killed on the first day of Ramadan after Israeli forces opened fire in the Gaza Strip, according to local sources and hospital officials.
The United States and international partners have announced billions of dollars in pledges to rebuild Gaza but many Palestinians remain sceptical about whether the funds will translate into tangible improvements for daily life.
President Donald Trump said on Friday (20 February) he will sign an executive order imposing a new 10% “global tariff”. The development comes hours after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Trump's sweeping “reciprocal” import duties in a major setback to his trade agenda.
The former Prince Andrew’s brief arrest on Thursday (19 February) has highlighted the challenges of prosecuting alleged misconduct in public office, with potential implications for the British monarchy’s public role, according to political analyst Nuno Wahnon Martins.
Spain’s Constitutional Court has rejected an appeal by the father of a 25‑year‑old woman who opposed her right to euthanasia, clearing the way for the procedure to go ahead, the court said on Friday (20 February).
Europe's five largest defence powers are teaming up on a multi-million-euro project to bring low-cost air-defence systems such as autonomous drones or missiles into production within 12 months, ministers meeting in Krakow, Poland, said on Friday (20 February).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment