Trump says Iran not ready to make the 'right deal'
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over th...
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has announced $107 million in emergency funding to help contain an expanding outbreak of Ebola virus disease in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda, warning it could become one of the worst on record.
The funding is intended to strengthen surveillance, laboratory capacity, border health controls and community response efforts as health agencies race to limit further spread.
Health officials report that the outbreak, driven by the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, has reached 875 confirmed cases and resulted in 202 deaths.
The World Health Organization previously declared the outbreak an international emergency, and experts have warned it could surpass the 2014–2016 West Africa epidemic, which caused more than 11,000 deaths.
The scale and pace of transmission have intensified concerns among regional and international health authorities, particularly given the virus’s movement across borders.
Despite large financial pledges, actual disbursement remains limited. African health authorities say that of roughly $910 million pledged globally to support response efforts, less than $90 million has been released.
The African Union has contributed around $80 million, while the United States has positioned itself as the largest single donor, urging other countries to accelerate funding delivery.
Officials warn that delays in financing risk undermining containment efforts in both high-transmission and neighbouring regions.
CDC teams are actively deployed across affected regions, with more than 125 staff working in the DRC and Uganda. This includes epidemiologists, laboratory specialists and public health advisers supporting national health ministries.
Dr Satish Pillai, who is leading the CDC’s Ebola response incident team, said the agency is working on multiple fronts, including improving community acceptance of surveillance measures, supporting safe burial practices, and strengthening diagnostic capacity in laboratories.
The agency is also assisting with preparedness planning in provinces west of the outbreak zone to reduce the risk of wider spread.
In Uganda, CDC teams are supporting border health screening and airport monitoring systems.
Officials emphasised that the risk of Ebola reaching the United States remains low, though contingency plans are in place in the event of an imported case.
The CDC is also coordinating with U.S. cities hosting upcoming major international events, including World Cup-related preparations, to ensure readiness for multiple potential public health threats, including Ebola, measles and heat-related illnesses.
Weekly coordination calls are being held with health authorities in 11 host cities to align preparedness and response planning.
Health experts continue to warn that without faster funding, stronger cross-border coordination and sustained community engagement, the outbreak could expand further across the region.
Efforts are now focused on preventing transmission into neighbouring provinces and strengthening early detection systems before the virus spreads beyond current containment zones.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has issued his strongest warning yet over Türkiye's growing military role in Syria, saying Israel will not accept Turkish forces expanding their presence further south.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Business Europe launches today, taking viewers inside the companies driving growth and innovation across Europe, with Brickken CEO Edwin Mata joining the programme for its first episode.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
The United States has imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods after Washington and Ottawa failed to reach a new trade agreement, with both sides accusing the other of derailing negotiations at the final stage.
Türkiye has asked Interpol to issue a red notice for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a criminal case linked to Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza, Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said on Friday.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment