U.S. moves to prevent Israel-Türkiye clash over Syria
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syr...
A fire involving two gas vessels at Egypt's Damietta port has prompted conflicting reports over whether the incident was caused by a drone strike or an onboard technical fault. Egyptian authorities said there were no casualties.
Initial reports from British maritime security firm Ambrey and several trading and security sources said a drone struck the U.S.-owned floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU) Energos Winter, triggering a fire that spread to the LNG carrier GasLog Salem. No group immediately claimed responsibility.
However, Egypt's Ministry of Petroleum confirmed only that a fire had broken out aboard a regasification vessel and a storage vessel at Damietta port, saying emergency response teams quickly brought the blaze under control. The ministry made no reference to any attack.
Later reports citing Egyptian officials disputed claims of a drone strike, saying the port itself had not come under attack and that the fire originated in the engine room of one of the vessels. Those accounts remain at odds with Ambrey's initial assessment, and the exact cause of the incident has not been independently confirmed.
Egyptian Petroleum Minister Karim Badawī travelled to the port to oversee the emergency response, according to the ministry.
Officials said there were no injuries or fatalities, while emergency and technical teams continued assessing the damage and investigating the cause of the fire.
Port services company Inchcape also reported that two gas tankers caught fire at Damietta.
The Energos Winter is a floating storage and regasification unit with a storage capacity of 138,250 cubic metres. It is owned by U.S.-based Energos Infrastructure, while its technical, safety and commercial operations are managed by Wilhelmsen Ship Management.
If confirmed as an attack, the incident would mark a significant expansion of regional security risks affecting energy infrastructure in the eastern Mediterranean. Egyptian officials, however, have so far stopped short of describing the fire as the result of hostile action.
Read more:
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
Azerbaijan’s strategic rise is turning it from a transit state into a regional rule-setter, with the Middle Corridor giving Baku growing influence far beyond its size, analyst Ahmad Alili says.
Kyrgyzstan is seeking to boost fuel imports from China as it looks to diversify supplies and reduce the risks of its heavy reliance on Russia.
At least 42 children were injured in an explosion at an educational centre in western Kabul on Monday, sparking international calls for a full investigation.
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure on supply chains and the wider economy.
Azerbaijan has summoned Russia’s ambassador in Baku over recent Russian media comments it described as insulting, provocative and threatening towards the country, its people and leadership.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment