live Iran says Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until U.S. meets deal terms
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade ...
The Court of Appeal in London ruled on Monday (15 June) that the government's decision to ban pro-Palestinian campaign group Palestine Action as a terrorist organisation was lawful, handing ministers a victory in a closely watched legal battle over protest rights and national security.
Palestine Action, founded in 2020, was proscribed under UK terrorism laws last year following a series of actions targeting Israel-linked defence companies, particularly Israeli defence firm Elbit Systems.
The ruling overturns a High Court decision issued in February, which found that the ban unlawfully interfered with freedom of expression. Despite that judgment, Palestine Action remained proscribed while the government pursued its appeal.
Delivering the ruling, Lady Chief Justice Sue Carr said the court had concluded that the ban was justified and proportionate.
She rejected arguments that Palestine Action should be regarded as a non-violent direct-action movement, saying its conduct went beyond peaceful protest.
"The behaviour of Palestine Action was not that of a non-violent direct action organisation," Carr said.
While acknowledging that the ban was "highly controversial", she added that "it is a fundamental mistake to overlook the fact that Palestine Action overtly promoted unlawful violence amounting to terrorism."
The government had argued that the earlier High Court ruling placed too much emphasis on the impact of the ban on free speech.
Lawyers representing Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood told an appeal hearing in April that the conclusion that proscription had significantly restricted freedom of expression was "overstated and wrong."
Palestine Action co-founder Huda Ammori challenged the government's decision, arguing that the ban had far-reaching consequences for supporters of the Palestinian cause.
Ammori said proscription had imposed "severe restrictions on the fundamental free speech and assembly rights of vast numbers of people" who support Palestinian rights.
The case has attracted significant attention in Britain because of its implications for protest movements and the use of anti-terrorism legislation.
Under UK law, membership of or support for a proscribed organisation is a criminal offence. The ruling by the Court of Appeal of England and Wales means Palestine Action will remain on the list of banned organisations unless a further legal challenge succeeds.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
The European Union is preparing what foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has described as its most far-reaching sanctions package against Russia since the war in Ukraine began.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
China is mourning former Premier Zhu Rongji, a driving force behind the economic reforms that transformed the country in the 1990s and early 2000s, following his death at the age of 97.
Russian opposition politician Lev Shlosberg has been sentenced to 11 years and one month in a penal colony after being convicted of criticising Russia's military campaign in Ukraine.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 18th of August, covering the latest developments.
At least two people were killed, including the suspected shooter, and two others were injured in a shooting at a high school in the southern Philippine city of Zamboanga.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment