Indonesia quake kills 53 as search continues on Independence Day

Indonesia quake kills 53 as search continues on Independence Day
Villagers take shelter outdoors following an aftershock from the earthquake in Ende, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia, 17 August 2026.
Reuters

Rescuers in eastern Indonesia will search collapsed buildings on Monday for survivors who may still be trapped under the rubble after a deadly earthquake killed at least 53 people. The country is marking its Independence Day as it reels from the latest tremors.

The earthquake struck East Nusa Tenggara province on Saturday, triggering landslides, blocking roads and damaging homes and public infrastructure. It was Indonesia’s deadliest earthquake since a 2022 quake in West Java killed hundreds.

Authorities said thousands of people had been evacuated, with many staying outdoors in tents or makeshift shelters because of fears of further tremors.

Aftershocks hamper rescue efforts

Nearly 1,600 aftershocks were recorded in the province by Monday, local media reported, citing the head of Indonesia’s geophysics agency. A magnitude-5.6 earthquake struck the Nagekeo region near the initial epicentre on Monday morning.

In a village near the quake-hit Ende region, 64-year-old farmer Firmus Woge was being treated for asthma at a damaged health centre surrounded by tents and hospital beds.

“I felt better last night and this morning but it's getting worse again after this morning's quake,” he said.

Police officers inspect a heavily damaged house after an earthquake was felt in Manggarai, East Nusa Tenggara province, Indonesia, 16 August 2026.
Reuters
Search operations continue

Fathur Rahman, head of the search and rescue office in Maumere, the capital of Sikka, said rescuers would use aerial monitoring to look for anyone who might still be missing.

More than 3,500 military and police personnel have been deployed to the affected areas. Rescuers have also reached parts of Maumere that were previously cut off by landslides.

Authorities said the earthquake damaged around 500 homes, while Indonesia’s disaster mitigation agency later reported that more than 1,300 homes had been damaged. Educational and health facilities, as well as dozens of government offices, were also affected.

The provincial government has declared a 14-day emergency response period running until 28 August, allowing authorities to mobilise additional resources and funding.

Residents shelter outdoors

Many residents in Sikka have been sleeping outside damaged or collapsed homes under makeshift tarpaulin shelters. Others have been receiving medical treatment in tents outside hospitals in the port town of Maumere.

“Almost all of Sikka's residents didn't dare stay indoors, so they slept on a porch or a tent outside,” Simon Subandi, deputy regent of Sikka, told KompasTV.

Residents of an Ende village also fled to higher ground amid fears of a tsunami, taking clothes and mattresses with them.

In Jakarta, about 1,500 km (930 miles) from the disaster zone, President Prabowo Subianto was expected to preside over Independence Day celebrations on Monday, marking Indonesia’s independence from Japanese rule in 1945.

Read more: 

Tags