Dozens of children injured in explosion at Kabul education centre
At least 42 children were injured in an explosion at an educational centre in western Kabul on Monday, sparking international calls for a full inve...
The World Health Organization warned on Monday that the fast-moving Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda was outpacing response efforts, with 220 suspected deaths reported so far.
World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said delayed detection of Ebola cases had forced responders to “play catch-up”, warning that the situation was expected to worsen before improving.
Addressing an African Union meeting, Tedros said more than 900 suspected Ebola cases had been identified, including 101 confirmed infections.
The WHO has declared the outbreak of the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola a public health emergency of international concern, citing the absence of an approved vaccine or virus-specific treatment.
Infections continue to spread across eastern Congo and into neighbouring Uganda, which has now confirmed seven Ebola cases after reporting two new infections on Monday.
Tedros warned that countries bordering the DRC remained at high risk and urged immediate preparedness measures.
He said containing the fast-moving outbreak was complicated by insecurity in Congo’s Ituri and North Kivu provinces, as well as the lack of approved vaccines for the Bundibugyo virus.
Tedros said he would travel to Congo - the epicentre of the outbreak - on Tuesday alongside Chikwe Ihekweazu, the WHO official responsible for health emergencies in Africa.
Authorities in Ituri province, one of the worst-affected areas, introduced strict emergency measures after clashes erupted in Rwampara, where residents attempted to recover the body of an Ebola victim for a traditional funeral wake.
Officials banned funeral wakes, limited public gatherings to 50 people, suspended the local football league, and ordered that burials be conducted only by specialised medical teams.
Ebola spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids, while the bodies of victims remain highly infectious after death. Health officials said unsafe funeral practices had significantly contributed to the spread of the current outbreak.
“The virus spreads very easily during funeral practices,” said Laura Archer of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
The outbreak’s first known patient died in Bunia, the capital of Ituri province, on 24 April. Authorities said the virus spread further after mourners handled the victim’s body during a funeral in Mongbwalu.
Doctors and aid workers operating in eastern Congo are also facing violence, supply shortages and growing public distrust.
At least three attacks on health facilities have been reported in Ituri province, including two incidents over the weekend targeting the same hospital and allowing more than two dozen patients to flee.
The violence has revived memories of the 2018–2020 Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, during which more than 25 health workers were killed in attacks on treatment centres.
Medical officials said misinformation and denial about Ebola remained widespread among local communities.
“There is denial of the disease within the population,” said Dr Richard Lokodu, director of Mongbwalu General Referral Hospital.
Aid organisations have intensified door-to-door awareness campaigns to combat false information surrounding the outbreak.
“There’s a lot of misinformation on the ground, so that’s another epidemic by itself,” WHO Regional Director for Africa Mohamed Yakub Janabi said.
Uganda’s health ministry said some of its latest Ebola infections involved close contacts of the country’s first confirmed case, including a healthcare worker and a driver involved in patient transport.
Authorities in Rwanda also introduced new border restrictions, saying foreign nationals who had recently travelled through the DRC would be denied entry, while returning residents would face quarantine measures.
The WHO has urged countries to avoid broad border closures, warning that restrictions could encourage informal crossings and complicate humanitarian access.
The outbreak is unfolding amid ongoing conflict in eastern Congo, where armed groups continue to operate across affected regions.
The Rwanda-backed M23 rebel group controls parts of North Kivu province, including areas where Ebola cases have been detected. Authorities in rebel-controlled territory have already suspended transport links between several affected cities.
United Nations humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher announced around $60 million in emergency funding to support containment efforts.
“We need to get ahead of this Ebola outbreak,” Fletcher wrote on X.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment