Azerbaijan’s support to Ukraine could set regional example, aid group director says
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of de...
Türkiye is urging Washington and Tehran to turn their fragile truce into a permanent ceasefire, as analysts say Ankara is seeking to use its geopolitical position to prevent a wider regional conflict.
Speaking to AnewZ, Yashar Sarı said Türkiye is actively supporting mediation efforts alongside countries including Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.
“Türkiye, as a neighbour to Iran and a close ally of the United States, wants to stop this war,” Sarı said, adding that Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan has maintained contact with both Iranian and U.S. interlocutors throughout the conflict.
According to Sarı, Ankara’s ability to communicate with all sides gives it an important diplomatic role, even if its influence remains limited compared with larger powers directly involved in negotiations.
Sarı said Türkiye views the conflict not only as a regional security crisis, but also as a major economic threat, particularly after disruptions linked to the Strait of Hormuz turned the war into a global issue.
“The Gulf region is extremely important for oil and natural gas trade, and this has become an international issue,” he said.
He warned that instability in the Middle East directly affects Türkiye politically and economically, recalling the long-term consequences of the Syrian civil war, including refugee flows and regional insecurity.
“When there is a fire in your neighbour’s house, it will affect your house too,” Sarı said.
He added that Ankara fears a prolonged war with Iran could trigger further displacement and deepen instability across the region.
Türkiye previously hosted talks between Iranian and U.S. officials in Istanbul before negotiations later shifted elsewhere, Sarı noted, adding that Ankara has consistently advocated dialogue over military escalation.
He argued that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and other officials see diplomacy not simply as a response to the current war, but as part of Türkiye’s longer-term regional strategy.
“Even before the war, Türkiye brought certain proposals, but unfortunately both sides were not interested,” he said.
Sarı also criticised the idea that military force alone could resolve the crisis, warning that attempts to impose solutions through war had repeatedly failed in the Middle East.
Looking ahead, Sarı said upcoming talks between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping on 14–15 May could prove decisive for the future of the ceasefire.
He noted that Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi had travelled to Beijing ahead of the meeting, suggesting efforts were under way to prepare broader proposals involving China.
“The most important issue for the international system is the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz,” Sarı said, warning that both Iranian and U.S. maritime restrictions continued to disrupt global trade and energy markets.
He added that internal political pressures in both Washington and Tehran could complicate efforts to reach a durable agreement, with divisions remaining inside Iran between hardliners and more pragmatic factions open to negotiation.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least twelve people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment