live Iran says Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until U.S. meets deal terms
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade ...
The World Health Organization (WHO) has confirmed five of eight suspected hantavirus cases linked to the luxury cruise ship MV Hondius. The U.N. health agency warned on Thursday (7 May) that more infections could emerge because of the virus’s long incubation period.
At a briefing on Thursday, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the organisation was aware of reports involving additional patients, but stressed that the wider public health threat from the outbreak remained low.
Three passengers on the cruise - a Dutch couple and a German national - have already died from suspected hantavirus infection. The Dutch Health Ministry said on Thursday that a Dutch woman had been admitted to hospital in Amsterdam after showing possible symptoms of the virus.
Dutch broadcaster RTL reported that the woman was a stewardess for KLM and had been in contact with a Dutch woman who attempted to board a plane in Johannesburg, South Africa, before later dying.
Separately, three people were evacuated from the ship on Wednesday. One was admitted to hospital in the Netherlands, while another was transferred to Germany for medical treatment.
Countries are scrambling to trace people who left the outbreak-hit ship before it became stranded off the coast of Cape Verde. Authorities in the country refused to allow the vessel to dock, citing public health concerns.
The Dutch government said on Wednesday that around 40 passengers had disembarked on the island of Saint Helena, where the ship stopped en route to Cape Verde before the outbreak was reported.
The whereabouts of many of those passengers remain unknown.
One of those who disembarked was the wife of the Dutchman who died aboard the ship on 11 April. She later fell ill and died before she could return to the Netherlands. KLM said on Wednesday that the woman had been removed from a flight in Johannesburg on 25 April because of her deteriorating condition.
The virus identified in the victims has been confirmed as the Andean strain, which can spread between humans through very close contact.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Wednesday that it was closely monitoring the situation involving U.S. travellers aboard the ship, adding that the risk to the American public remained extremely low.
"The Department of State is leading a coordinated, whole-of-government response including direct contact with passengers, diplomatic coordination, and engagement with domestic and international health authorities," the CDC said in a statement.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot said on Thursday that one French citizen had been in contact with a person who had fallen ill, but was not currently showing symptoms.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment