live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Germany has announced an additional €20 million in humanitarian support for Sudan as Berlin hosts a major international conference aimed at raising more than $1 billion to address one of the world’s most severe and increasingly overlooked crises.
The funding boost comes on the third anniversary of the conflict between Sudan’s army, led by Abdel-Fattah Burhan, and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) under Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo.
What began as a power struggle has spiralled into a devastating war that has upended millions of lives.
German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul said the Berlin gathering was as much about urgency as visibility.
“This isn’t a quick fix,” he warned, stressing that simply keeping Sudan on the international agenda was itself a step towards ending the war.
As conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East dominate headlines, aid agencies warn Sudan risks becoming a “forgotten war” despite its staggering human cost.
Behind the statistics are families forced to flee their homes, children missing school, and communities struggling to survive without basic services. Aid workers describe a country where hunger is widespread and healthcare systems are collapsing.
In Darfur and other regions, reports of sexual violence and alleged war crimes have deepened the sense of a nation in freefall.
The conference in Berlin brings together representatives from European nations, African partners, the United Nations and humanitarian organisations. Notably, neither of the warring Sudanese factions is present, with discussions focused on civilian needs rather than direct peace negotiations.
Germany’s Development Minister, Reem Alabali Radovan, said the new €20 million commitment builds on more than €155 million already pledged.
Other countries have followed suit. The United Kingdom, represented by Yvette Cooper, announced an additional £146 million, while Norway also committed further funds.
Cooper acknowledged the scale of international failure so far, saying the global response has fallen far short of what Sudan’s people need.
“We need to ensure every possible pressure is put on those warring parties to reach the urgent ceasefire,” she said.
German officials have been candid that humanitarian support is not only a moral duty but also a strategic necessity.
Wadephul noted that preventing famine and instability could help avoid large-scale migration flows towards Europe, echoing the refugee crisis of 2015–16.
At the same time, Berlin faces its own financial pressures, with tighter budgets and reduced global aid contributions - particularly following cuts by the U.S. - leaving a significant funding gap.
Sudan today is effectively divided: the military controls much of the north and east, while RSF forces dominate large parts of Darfur and the west. The conflict has drawn in regional interests linked to oil, gold and geopolitical influence.
For ordinary Sudanese people, however, the stakes are far more immediate.
As one UN official put it, the figures “are not abstract” - they represent broken families, lost livelihoods and a generation growing up in crisis.
Three years on, the message from Berlin is simple but urgent: without sustained global attention and funding, Sudan’s humanitarian catastrophe will only deepen - quietly, but catastrophically.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment