Gaza flotilla activists to be deported after being taunted by Israeli minister
Activists from a Gaza-bound flotilla detained by Israel at sea have been released from prison and are expected to be deported to Türkiye, offi...
More than a million Sudanese refugees now face drastic cuts to life-saving aid, including food and water, after major funding shortfalls have left humanitarian agencies struggling to cope.
On Thursday, the World Food Programme (WFP) and the UN refugee agency said that, without an additional $428 million, assistance will be scaled back further in the coming months.
The warning applies most urgently to Chad, which is hosting more than 1.3 million Sudanese refugees, most of whom have arrived since the war between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) began in April 2023. Many are survivors of mass killings, famine and ethnic violence in Darfur.
“With less than half the resources we require, we cannot deliver sufficient food to the people who need it most,” said WFP Chad Country Director Sarah Gordon-Gibson, warning that families are being forced into devastating coping strategies that put lives at risk.
Aid agencies say the impact of underfunding is already being felt. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said it is currently able to assist only four out of every ten refugees in Chad, leaving many without shelter.
While the UN has not publicly named donors responsible for the shortfall, aid agencies have previously pointed to cuts in Western foreign aid, including from the U.S. and Europe, as governments divert funds towards defence.
Inside Sudan, the crisis is even more severe. The country is now the world’s largest hunger emergency, with famine confirmed in El Fasher and Kadugli, and the risk of famine spreading to another 20 areas across Greater Darfur and Greater Kordofan.
The World Food Programme estimates that 21.2 million people - 41% of the population - are facing acute food insecurity, according to the latest international assessments. Sudan is also the world’s largest displacement crisis, with more than 12 million people forced from their homes.
The WFP warns that, from February 2026, hunger is expected to worsen again as food stocks run out and fighting continues. The agency urgently needs $700 million to continue operations through mid-2026.
The collapse of Sudan’s health system is captured in the testimony of Dr Mohamed, a doctor at the Saudi Hospital in El Fasher, which was attacked in October 2025 after the RSF seized the city. More than 460 patients and companions were reportedly killed.
“You see a patient bleeding in front of you and cannot help because there is no blood,” he said. “People cannot donate blood when they cannot find anything to eat.” With supplies exhausted, staff used mosquito nets and bed sheets as bandages and relied on expired medicines tested by pharmacists.
Sudan is now one of the most dangerous places in the world for healthcare and aid workers. Between 15 April 2023 and 9 December 2025, at least 173 health workers have been killed and 83 have been arrested, according to the WHO.
Despite the danger and lack of resources, doctors like Dr Mohamed continue working. “None of us are sane anymore,” he said. “Psychologically, we are all sick, but we push through.”
Without sustained funding, humanitarian access and an end to hostilities, Sudan’s forgotten war risks becoming even deadlier, with millions more lives hanging in the balance - largely unseen and unresolved.
READ MORE
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
Russia is considering the possibility of joint projects with the United States and China, Kirill Dmitriev, Head of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, (Russia's sovereign wealth fund), was quoted as saying by state media on Wednesday.
Activists from a Gaza-bound flotilla detained by Israel at sea have been released from prison and are expected to be deported to Türkiye, officials confirmed on Thursday.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
Russia pledged support for Cuba on Thursday after the U.S. indicted former Cuban president Raúl Castro on murder charges linked to the 1996 downing of exile planes, escalating tensions between Washington and Havana.
The European Union has moved closer to finalising a trade agreement with the United States in an effort to avoid a new tariff escalation threatened by President Donald Trump. The proposed deal is aimed at stabilising transatlantic trade ties amid mounting economic and political pressure.
Russia delivered nuclear munitions to field storage facilities in Belarus as part of major nuclear drills, the Russian Defence Ministry said on Thursday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment