live Hormuz shipping slows as Iran's Araghchi sets conditions for resumption
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz slowed to a near standstill over the weekend, with five commodity vessels transiting Saturday and none on Sun...
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Heavy rain continued across large parts of China on Tuesday and Wednesday, affecting provinces including Hunan, Hubei, Guizhou, Guangxi, Jiangxi, Anhui and Guangdong.
Chinese state media said at least 21 people had died in separate incidents linked to flooding and severe weather, while several others remained missing.
In Hunan province, five people were killed and 11 reported missing in Shimen county after intense rainfall battered the region, state broadcaster CCTV reported. More than 19,000 residents had been relocated by Tuesday evening, according to Xinhua news agency.
Xinhua said Shimen recorded 339 millimetres of rainfall within 24 hours ending early Monday, while one town received 240 millimetres within just a few hours, breaking historical records.
In neighbouring Hubei province, flooding turned streets into rivers, forcing rescuers to use inflatable boats to reach stranded residents. Three people were killed and four others were missing after flash floods struck low-lying areas in Xuan'en county in Enshi Tujia and Miao autonomous prefecture.
Guizhou province reported four deaths and five people missing after downpours triggered floods and landslides in Guiding county. More than 3,700 residents were relocated in one affected area, according to state media.
Separately, 10 people were killed after a pickup truck carrying farm workers plunged into a flooded river in Guangxi over the weekend.
Authorities suspended schools, businesses and transport services in several affected areas, while emergency teams carried out evacuations, drainage operations and infrastructure repairs.
In Hubei, rescue teams said they drained nearly 20 million litres of floodwater and rescued or evacuated more than 300 residents between Sunday and Monday.
Images shared on Chinese social media showed residents wading through knee-deep water in the city of Jingzhou, where some vehicles were almost completely submerged.
Communications and power supplies were disrupted in parts of the flood-hit regions, while roads and bridges suffered extensive damage.
China's government said it had allocated 150 million yuan ($22 million) in disaster relief funding and launched emergency responses in multiple provinces.
China's National Meteorological Centre warned that severe weather would gradually move east and south over the coming days, with the heaviest rainfall expected along the middle and lower reaches of the Yangtze River from Wednesday.
Meteorologists said the unusually broad band of rainfall, stretching more than 1,000 kilometres, was caused by moisture converging from the Bay of Bengal, the South China Sea and the Pacific Ocean.
On the southern island province of Hainan, authorities issued a geological disaster warning after a mountainside collapsed onto a highway in Lingshui, forcing road closures.
China experiences deadly flooding during its annual summer rainy season, with heavy rains last year killing dozens of people in Beijing.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
Russia and Ukraine traded large-scale overnight attacks targeting energy, industrial and military facilities on Saturday, with a three-month-old baby killed and 11 people injured in a Russian drone strike on a residential building in Ukraine’s Dnipropetrovsk region.
For fishermen along Pakistan’s southwestern coast, the consequences of the U.S.-Iran conflict are being felt far from the battlefield.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favorable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 17th of August, covering the latest developments.
More than 183,000 customers across Hawaii were without power as Tropical Storm Lala weakened after bringing hurricane-force winds, heavy rain, and flooding to the islands.
Canadian measures aimed at preventing terrorist financing can obstruct legitimate humanitarian work by Muslim charities, particularly when aid is destined for countries considered high-risk, according to a new study.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment