Türkiye’s Gaza role depends on U.S.–Israel political consensus
Türkiye has signalled readiness to contribute to a proposed Gaza stabilisation force during the inaugural Board of Peace meeting on Thursday (19 Febr...
A UN investigation says the Rapid Support Forces assault on al-Fashir, in western Sudan, showed signs of genocide, citing mass killings, coordinated attacks and exterminatory language targeting non-Arab groups.
An independent UN fact-finding mission said mass killings of non-Arab communities when the Rapid Support Forces captured al-Fashir bore hallmarks pointing to genocide.
The report said the RSF seized the city at the end of October - the last remaining stronghold of the Sudanese Armed Forces in Darfur - after an 18-month siege during which thousands were killed and raped in three days of intense violence.
Investigators said the RSF imposed conditions of life calculated to bring about the physical destruction of non-Arab groups, in particular the Zaghawa and the Fur.
The mission found evidence of coordinated and repeated targeting based on ethnicity, gender and perceived political affiliation, including mass killings, rape, torture and conditions aimed at destroying the group in whole or in part.
The final draft of the report was shared with the Government of Sudan but no reply was received. The RSF did not meet with the investigators.
The RSF has previously denied such abuses and accused its enemies of fabricating accounts.
Evidence of intent and impact on communities
Mohamad Chande Othman, chair of the mission, said the scale, coordination and public endorsement by senior RSF leadership showed the crimes were not random excesses of conflict.
He said: "They formed part of a planned and organised operation that bears the defining characteristics of genocide."
Before the takeover, al-Fashir was mainly populated by Zaghawa residents, while camps around the city housed the Fur community, along with the Berti, Masalit, and Tama groups.
Survivors described explicit threats to "clean" the city. The report said witnesses heard RSF fighters say: "Is there anyone Zaghawa among you? If we find Zaghawa, we will kill them all."
The investigation detailed drone and heavy weapon attacks on camps, kitchens and medical centres, along with killings, looting, beatings and sexual violence.
Accounts described bodies of men, women and children in the streets and point-blank executions of civilians.
Women and girls aged 7 to 70 from non-Arab communities, particularly the Zaghawa, were raped and subjected to whipping and forced nudity.
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper said the findings were horrific and urged an immediate ceasefire. She said the atrocities included systematic starvation, torture, killings, rape and deliberate ethnic targeting during the siege of al-Fashir.
The Human Rights Council established the mission, with backing from countries including Britain, to urgently investigate violations in and around the city.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
Aghdam’s Qarabag FK experienced a 6–1 defeat to England’s Newcastle United in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie in Azerbaijan's capital Baku Wednesday evening (18 February).
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and addressing global conflicts. It's drawn support from regional powers but refusals from several EU countries.
Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin on Wednesday, telling him that new restrictions imposed on the communist-run island were unacceptable.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov reaffirmed Russia’s support on Friday (20 February) for the negotiation process between Washington and Tehran amid escalating regional tensions.
Relations between Russia and Japan have effectively collapsed due to Tokyo’s “unfriendly” stance towards Moscow, the Kremlin said on Friday (20 February), adding that there is currently no dialogue aimed at concluding a peace treaty.
Hungary will release 250,000 tonnes of crude oil from its strategic reserves following a halt in flows on the Druzhba pipeline. The decision was announced in a government decree published late on Thursday.
Indonesia and the United States have finalised a trade agreement lowering U.S. tariffs on Indonesian goods to 19% from 32%, with exemptions secured for palm oil and several other major exports.
Sixty-five-year-old Halyna Popriadukhina has fled her home three times as Russian troops have marched deeper into eastern Ukraine during four years of war. Tired of running, she hopes Ukraine can somehow hold them back.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment