U.S. President Trump announces new 10% global tariff after Supreme Court setback
President Donald Trump said on Friday (20 February) he will sign an executive order imposing a new 10% “global tariff”. The development comes hour...
UK politicians have renewed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, to be removed from the line of succession following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office and revelations over his links to convicted U.S. sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Mountbatten-Windsor, 66, who is eighth in line to the throne, was arrested on Thursday by Thames Valley Police on suspicion of misconduct in public office and released later the same day under investigation.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright confirmed that an inquiry has been opened into the allegations. Police searches are ongoing at his Windsor home, Royal Lodge, and are expected to continue until Monday.
At one point more than 20 vehicles were seen at the property, although it is unclear if all were related to the investigation.
Officers have asked Mountbatten-Windsor’s former protection officers to review any information that could assist the investigation.
The arrest follows the January release of U.S. court files on convicted sex offender Epstein, which highlighted Mountbatten‑Windsor’s communications with Epstein.
The documents indicate that in 2010, while serving as the UK trade envoy to Asia, he sent Epstein details of official trips to Singapore, Vietnam, Shenzhen in China, and Hong Kong, and appeared to forward official reports of those trips.
Mountbatten‑Windsor has denied any wrongdoing.
He stepped back from royal duties in 2019 following criticism of his BBC Newsnight interview regarding Epstein.
Several UK politicians have called for consideration of removing Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession once police investigations conclude.
Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey said: “Clearly this is an issue that parliament is going to have to consider when the time is right, naturally the monarchy will want to ensure he can never become king.”
Stephen Flynn, Westminster leader of the Scottish National Party, told British media: “The public would be rightly angry that a man who lied about being friends with Epstein could still be on course to be head of state.”
Conservative shadow Scotland secretary Andrew Bowie said: “If he’s found guilty of this, I think parliament would be well within its rights to act to remove him from the line of succession.” Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch emphasised that the investigation must proceed without interference.
A YouGov poll released on Friday suggested that 82% of British adults believe Mountbatten-Windsor should be removed from the royal line of succession, compared with 6% who think he should remain.
Mountbatten-Windsor relinquished his royal titles, including “prince,” in October 2025, but remains eighth in line to the throne and retains the role of counsellor of state, allowing adult royals to act on behalf of the monarch if necessary.
Removing him from the line of succession would require an Act of Parliament and consultation with the 14 Commonwealth realms where King Charles III is head of state, including Canada, Australia, Jamaica, and New Zealand.
Any change would take effect only after royal assent. The last removal from succession occurred in 1936 after King Edward VIII’s abdication, and the most recent change to succession law was in 2013, restoring rights for individuals previously excluded for marrying Catholics.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Kazakhstan has entered the world’s top 50 economies by GDP in 2026, ranking 50th with a projected nominal output of $320 billion. The result reflects sustained growth, structural reforms and the country’s rising role as a regional economic hub.
The Armenian Cabinet has approved a military-technical cooperation agreement (MTC) with Poland, which will be forwarded to parliament for ratification following its signing, according to Armenian media.
President Donald Trump said on Friday (20 February) he will sign an executive order imposing a new 10% “global tariff”. The development comes hours after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Trump's sweeping “reciprocal” import duties in a major setback to his trade agenda.
The U.S. military carried out a strike Friday (20 February) on a vessel allegedly engaged in narcotrafficking in the Eastern Pacific, according to the U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM).
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Police in Tirana fired tear gas and used water cannon in clashes on Friday (20 February) with opposition protesters demanding the resignation of the Albanian government following corruption allegations against the deputy prime minister.
U.S. President Donald Trump will travel to China from 31 March to 2 April, the White House has confirmed, for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping as a U.S. Supreme Court ruling reshapes his tariff policy.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment