Azerbaijan President Aliyev meets world leaders in Baku as WUF drives strategic partnerships
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev has held a series of high‑level meetings with world leaders and del...
UK politicians have renewed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, to be removed from the line of succession following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office and revelations over his links to convicted U.S. sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Mountbatten-Windsor, 66, who is eighth in line to the throne, was arrested on Thursday by Thames Valley Police on suspicion of misconduct in public office and released later the same day under investigation.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright confirmed that an inquiry has been opened into the allegations. Police searches are ongoing at his Windsor home, Royal Lodge, and are expected to continue until Monday.
At one point more than 20 vehicles were seen at the property, although it is unclear if all were related to the investigation.
Officers have asked Mountbatten-Windsor’s former protection officers to review any information that could assist the investigation.
The arrest follows the January release of U.S. court files on convicted sex offender Epstein, which highlighted Mountbatten‑Windsor’s communications with Epstein.
The documents indicate that in 2010, while serving as the UK trade envoy to Asia, he sent Epstein details of official trips to Singapore, Vietnam, Shenzhen in China, and Hong Kong, and appeared to forward official reports of those trips.
Mountbatten‑Windsor has denied any wrongdoing.
He stepped back from royal duties in 2019 following criticism of his BBC Newsnight interview regarding Epstein.
Several UK politicians have called for consideration of removing Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession once police investigations conclude.
Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey said: “Clearly this is an issue that parliament is going to have to consider when the time is right, naturally the monarchy will want to ensure he can never become king.”
Stephen Flynn, Westminster leader of the Scottish National Party, told British media: “The public would be rightly angry that a man who lied about being friends with Epstein could still be on course to be head of state.”
Conservative shadow Scotland secretary Andrew Bowie said: “If he’s found guilty of this, I think parliament would be well within its rights to act to remove him from the line of succession.” Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch emphasised that the investigation must proceed without interference.
A YouGov poll released on Friday suggested that 82% of British adults believe Mountbatten-Windsor should be removed from the royal line of succession, compared with 6% who think he should remain.
Mountbatten-Windsor relinquished his royal titles, including “prince,” in October 2025, but remains eighth in line to the throne and retains the role of counsellor of state, allowing adult royals to act on behalf of the monarch if necessary.
Removing him from the line of succession would require an Act of Parliament and consultation with the 14 Commonwealth realms where King Charles III is head of state, including Canada, Australia, Jamaica, and New Zealand.
Any change would take effect only after royal assent. The last removal from succession occurred in 1936 after King Edward VIII’s abdication, and the most recent change to succession law was in 2013, restoring rights for individuals previously excluded for marrying Catholics.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration.
Small businesses across Russia are increasingly feeling the impact of tighter internet restrictions, including limits on the messaging app Telegram, stricter controls on virtual private networks, and repeated mobile internet outages.
Taiwan’s President Lai Ching-te has reaffirmed the island’s commitment to sovereignty and regional stability following the recent meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping.
At least four people have been killed in a major Ukrainian drone attack on Russian territory, including the Moscow region, which authorities say faced its largest aerial assault in more than a year.
China has launched the world’s first experiment to study how artificial human embryos develop in space, marking a major step in understanding whether humans could one day reproduce beyond Earth.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment