live UAE and Saudi Arabia report drone incidents amid Iran conflict deadlock- Middle East conflict
A drone strike caused a fire at the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, officials said on Sunday, with ...
Nearly 200 people were killed when armed men launched coordinated attacks on remote villages in western and northern Nigeria, authorities and residents said on Wednesday (4 February). Officials described the assaults as among the deadliest this year, amid the country’s worsening security crisis.
The heaviest attack struck the villages of Woro and Nuku in Kwara state on Tuesday evening, where gunmen killed at least 170 people, according to local lawmaker Sa’idu Baba Ahmed and a Red Cross official, as security forces searched for survivors and missing residents.
Ahmed said the attackers rounded up villagers, bound their hands and executed them, before burning homes, shops and the residence of the traditional ruler.
“As I’m speaking to you now, I’m in the village along with military personnel, sorting dead bodies and combing the surrounding areas for more,” he told the reporters.
Police confirmed that “scores” of people were killed but declined to give a final figure, saying search-and-rescue operations were still under way. Several residents, including the village’s traditional king, remained unaccounted for.
Residents told press the attackers were jihadists who had previously preached in the area, demanding that villagers renounce allegiance to the Nigerian state and adopt sharia law. When villagers resisted, the gunmen opened fire, witnesses said.
In a separate attack the same day in Katsina state, armed men killed at least 13 people in Doma village, moving from house to house and shooting residents, police said. The assault shattered a six-month peace pact between local communities and armed gangs.
Rights group Amnesty International said the Kwara attackers had issued warning letters to villagers for months before the assault, calling the security failures that enabled the killings “unacceptable”.
Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq described the violence as retaliation for recent counter-terrorism operations, saying the attack reflected “the frustration of terrorist cells” under pressure from security forces.
According to local sources, Nigeria faces multiple overlapping security threats, including jihadist insurgencies linked to Islamic State affiliates, criminal gangs known locally as bandits, and intercommunal violence.
Officials say some of the attackers belong to the Lakurawa, an armed group operating along Nigeria’s border with Niger.
The attacks come as security cooperation with the United States intensifies. Nigeria’s defence minister confirmed that a small U.S. military team is currently in the country providing intelligence and training support, following recent joint operations and U.S. airstrikes on militant camps.
The Nigerian government has rejected claims by U.S. President Donald Trump that Christians are being specifically targeted, saying violence affects Muslims and Christians alike across Africa’s most populous nation.
Despite stepped-up military operations, residents across northern and central Nigeria say insecurity is spreading, with armed groups increasingly striking communities far from traditional conflict zones.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Russia carried out overnight drone strikes, air raids and shelling across Ukraine, hitting cities including Odesa and Dnipro, killing one person and injuring more than 30, according to Ukrainian officials on Monday (18 May).
Iran and Pakistan reviewed bilateral ties and the latest developments in the stalled Iran-U.S. peace negotiations mediated by Islamabad, as Tehran and Washington continue to refuse tangible concessions amid a fragile ceasefire and escalating verbal threats.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment