Spain’s High Court clears Shakira of tax fraud and overturns multi-million euro penalty
Spain’s High Court has cleared Colombian pop star Shakira of tax fraud and annulled a €55 million ($64 million) penalty imposed by Spani...
Security services say they have now rescued all 166 worshippers who were kidnapped by gunmen during attacks on two churches in northern Nigeria last month, a Christian group said on Thursday (5 February).
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) credited the power of prayer and the military for the success of the operations in Kaduna state, but did not go into details on how the churchgoers were freed or when.
The military, the police and the local government in Kaduna did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
CAN, which represents congregations across Nigeria, said gunmen stormed the churches on 18 January, seized 177 worshippers and dragged them into nearby forests. Eleven escaped, leaving 166 missing, it said.
It was the latest in a series of reported attacks and abductions in the north that have drawn the attention of U.S. President Donald Trump, who has accused Nigeria's government of failing to protect Christians - a charge Abuja denies.
U.S. forces struck what they described as terrorist targets in northwest Nigeria on 25 December.
There have been conflicting accounts of the churchgoers' fate. Police initially said no kidnapping took place, then said on Monday 80 of those listed as abducted had fled to nearby villages during the raid and since returned to their homes.
The police and CAN often offer different figures and accounts on church kidnappings.
On Thursday, the Rev. John Hayab, head of CAN's northern chapter, said he could confirm that all the churchgoers had now been freed "after all the drama and disagreements", referring to the police’s initial denial of the kidnapping.
"What we know is that they have been rescued. Nobody asked us to gather any money, and nobody collected a penny from us," he said.
"Of course, the bandits still have their demands, but we did not have any amount to give them," he added.
CAN's leader in Kaduna, the Rev. Caleb Ma'aji, also said the churchgoers had been released and that he had just returned from the government house in Kaduna where the governor was set to receive them.
"The stage is set for them to be brought ... His Excellency will meet with them. This is a result of the prayers we have offered,” he said.
The Nigerian authorities say they are cooperating with Washington to improve security and have denied there is systematic persecution of Christians.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Russia carried out overnight drone strikes, air raids and shelling across Ukraine, hitting cities including Odesa and Dnipro, killing one person and injuring more than 30, according to Ukrainian officials on Monday (18 May).
Iran and Pakistan reviewed bilateral ties and the latest developments in the stalled Iran-U.S. peace negotiations mediated by Islamabad, as Tehran and Washington continue to refuse tangible concessions amid a fragile ceasefire and escalating verbal threats.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment