live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
At least 12 people were killed and seven wounded after a Russian drone struck a bus carrying miners in Ukraine's southeastern Dnipropetrovsk region, government officials said on Sunday (1 February).
Energy company DTEK said in a statement that Russian forces had carried out a "massive terrorist attack" on a company mine in the region, and that all the dead and wounded were employees returning from a shift.
"Today, the enemy carried out a cynical and targeted attack on energy sector workers in the Dnipropetrovsk region," wrote first Deputy Prime Miniser Denys Shmyhal, who is also the Energy Minister, on the Telegram app.
DTEK and Shmyhal had earlier put the death toll at 15.
Meanwhile, earlier on Sunday, regional officials said at least nine had been wounded in Russian strikes on a maternity hospital and a residential building in the southeastern city of Zaporizhzhia.
Three women were initially reported wounded, and a fire broke out in the gynaecology reception area before being brought under control. Regional governor Ivan Fedorov later said the number of injured in Zaporizhzhia had risen to six.
Ukrainian authorities said emergency services were responding at multiple sites, while air defence units continued efforts to intercept incoming drones.
Russia has not commented on the reported strikes.
In his nightly address, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the strike on the bus had hit a regular coach transporting miners, offering condolences to the victims’ families and noting that several people were wounded.
"In Dnipro region, in Ternivka of Pavlohrad district there was a strike by Russian drones on a regular coach. A coach which was carrying miners – unfortunately (there are) a lot of dead. My condolences to all relatives and friends. There are wounded too," he said.
Zelenskyy also warned of mounting pressure on Ukraine’s energy system, saying more than 500 residential buildings in Kyiv remain without heating amid freezing winter temperatures. He called for faster coordination between city authorities and the national government and said additional warming centres had been opened.
"Repair works are still on. This certainly cannot be seen as normal in a city where for a number of weeks part of the dwellings go unheated. Each day irrespective of the situation this is hundreds of building. Whether there are strikes or no strikes - all the same - hundreds of buildings without heating. This means that work carried out in the city is not enough," Zelenskyy added.
Turning to diplomacy, Zelenskyy said Ukraine’s negotiating team had reported progress toward another round of U.S.-brokered trilateral talks with Russia, planned for next week in the United Arab Emirates.
The announcement comes amid uncertainty over a Russian pledge to suspend attacks on energy infrastructure at the request of U.S. President Donald Trump, with Kyiv saying it would reciprocate.
Zelenskyy said Ukraine remains ready for “substantive” talks even as Russian forces continue battlefield advances.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment