Zelenskyy says new trilateral talks set for February 4-5 in Abu Dhabi

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Sunday that a new round of U.S.-brokered trilateral peace talks between Ukraine and Russia will take place in Abu Dhabi on February 4 and 5, as Kyiv prepares for what he described as a “substantive discussion”.

“Our negotiating team has just delivered a report. The dates for the next trilateral meetings have been set – February 4 and 5 in Abu Dhabi,” Zelenskyy wrote on X.

“Ukraine is ready for a substantive discussion, and we are interested in ensuring that the outcome brings us closer to a real and dignified end to the war,” he added.

Speaking earlier in his nightly video address, Zelenskyy said Ukraine remained in close contact with Washington and was expecting clearer information on the format and timing of upcoming meetings.

“We are in constant communication with the American side and are expecting specific details from them regarding further meetings,” Zelenskyy said. “We are counting on meetings next week and are preparing for them.”

His remarks confirm that a meeting previously expected to take place on Sunday would no longer go ahead as originally planned.

Ukraine, Russia and the United States have recently intensified diplomatic contacts as part of international efforts to explore potential pathways toward ending the nearly four-year-long conflict, which began with Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Zelenskyy did not provide further details on the expected agenda or participants for the Abu Dhabi talks.

Tags