U.S. moves to prevent Israel-Türkiye clash over Syria
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syr...
A large-scale Russian air attack on Ukraine’s energy system has left more than one million people without electricity during sub-zero winter temperatures, as explosions rocked Kyiv overnight and into Saturday morning, Ukrainian officials said.
Deputy Prime Minister Oleksiy Kuleba said more than 3,200 buildings in Kyiv were still without heating late on Saturday, down from about 6,000 earlier in the day, as temperatures hovered around minus 10 degrees Celsius. More than 160 emergency crews were working in the capital to restore services, with repair teams also deployed in western and southern regions.
Energy Minister Denys Shmyhal said on Telegram that more than 800,000 households in Kyiv remained without power, alongside another 400,000 in the northern Chernihiv region. He warned that continued Russian strikes were preventing the stabilisation of the electricity network.
Many residents were already enduring freezing conditions after previous attacks damaged Kyiv’s centralised heating system, leaving some apartments without consistent heat or electricity for days.
The strikes came as U.S.-brokered talks between Russia and Ukraine, involving trilateral discussions in the United Arab Emirates, continued for a second day before adjourning without signs of progress. Further talks are expected next weekend.
Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko said Russia targeted the capital and four regions in northern and eastern Ukraine, adding that authorities were accelerating repairs, increasing electricity imports and introducing alternative power capacity.
Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said one person was killed and four injured in the capital, with three hospitalised. In Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city, more than 30 people, including a child, were injured.
Klitschko visited Troyeshchyna, a northeastern district of Kyiv where around 600 buildings were left without power, water and heat. He said vulnerable residents were being provided with hot meals and medicine, while additional heated shelters were operating around the clock. The city has also loosened its wartime night-time curfew to allow residents to reach warming centres.
Ukraine’s air force said Russia launched 375 drones and 21 missiles, including two rarely used Tsirkon ballistic missiles, in the overnight assault. Kyiv’s skyline was repeatedly lit by air-defence fire as loud explosions echoed across the city.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
U.S. President Donald Trump has paused a planned 50 per cent tariff increase on Canadian goods for three days, saying Washington and Ottawa had reached a preliminary agreement.
A federal judge has allowed the Trump administration to move forward with ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for thousands of Ethiopian nationals living in the United States, removing one of the last major legal obstacles to a broader effort to roll back humanitarian immigration protections.
With governments focused on conflicts in the Gulf and Ukraine, China is pressing ahead with a more assertive military and strategic posture across the Pacific, particularly around its immediate neighbourhood.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment