Iran says Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until U.S. meets deal terms
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade ...
Iranian authorities say 3,117 people, most of them civilians, were killed during weeks of unrest across the country, marking the first official death toll released since protests erupted late last year.
The figure was announced by the Foundation of Martyrs and Veterans Affairs, which said the data was compiled using information from the Iranian Legal Medicine Organization, a forensic body linked to the judiciary. Of those killed, 2,427 were civilians and security personnel, according to the statement.
The foundation described the deaths as resulting from what it called “terrorist incidents”, accusing armed groups of targeting bystanders and protesters through what it termed indiscriminate violence. It said some victims were passers-by, while others were protesters allegedly shot by “organised terrorist elements” within crowds.
The protests began in late December in Tehran before spreading to other cities, driven by worsening economic conditions, including sharp currency depreciation and rising inflation. Violence escalated weeks later following calls for demonstrations by Reza Pahlavi, the son of Iran’s former monarch.
Iranian officials have rejected higher casualty estimates published by some foreign-based human rights groups, which have claimed the death toll exceeds 15,000, mostly protesters. President Masoud Pezeshkian and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi have described those figures as false.
Authorities have blamed the unrest on foreign interference, accusing the United States and Israel of backing what they describe as “rioters” and “terrorist groups”. Police say hundreds of people accused of organising violence have been arrested, while the judiciary has warned of strict punishment for those involved.
The announcement comes as the United States and several European countries imposed a new round of sanctions on Iran over what they called a crackdown on protesters. In response, Iranian diplomats were barred from the European Parliament, and Araghchi’s invitation to the World Economic Forum in Davos was withdrawn.
Following the release of the figures, Iran’s Supreme National Security Council said the unrest was part of what it described as a broader campaign by Washington and Tel Aviv to undermine social stability in Iran, a claim rejected by Western governments.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
With governments focused on conflicts in the Gulf and Ukraine, China is pressing ahead with a more assertive military and strategic posture across the Pacific, particularly around its immediate neighbourhood.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment