Azerbaijan seeks bigger global investment role ahead of Baku forum
Azerbaijan is stepping up efforts to strengthen its position as a regional hub for investment and connectivity ahead of the second Azerbaijan Inter...
Reza Pahlavi, the exiled son of Iran’s last shah, has called for support for protesters seeking to overthrow Iran’s government. Speaking at a press conference in Washington on 16 January, Pahlavi outlined plans to return to Iran and called for action against the country’s Revolutionary Guards.
Pahlavi said a “surgical strike” on the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps would “facilitate our task and prevent more loss of life,” as demonstrations across Iran continue.
Asked about future leadership in Iran, Pahlavi said it was “for the Iranian people to decide,” while adding that he believed he had the support of the population and was seeking to “help them liberate themselves.”
Pahlavi mentioned plans to implement a new constitution and stated that he is confident the Islamic Republic “will fall — not if, but when.”
Reza Pahlavi claimed some members of Iran’s security apparatus refused to participate in the crackdown and that foreign militia fighters were brought in to suppress demonstrations.
Before the press conference, a moment of silence was observed for protesters killed during the demonstrations.
Meanwhile, the U.S. and UK have reduced personnel at the Al-Udeid air base in Qatar as a precautionary measure.
U.S. President Donald Trump previously warned Iran against killing protesters and said he would take “very strong action” if executions occurred, without ruling out military measures.
Iran’s parliament speaker has warned that any U.S. strike could make Israel and United States military and shipping centres in the region legitimate targets.
Pahlavi has emerged as a leading figure in Iran’s fragmented opposition and has repeatedly called upon the citizens to escalate protests, which continue despite the possible risk of deadly reprisals.
Human rights groups say more than 2,000 protesters have been killed since unrest began on 28 December over economic grievances and escalated into calls for the end of Supreme Leader Ali Hosseini Khamenei’s rule.
Iranian authorities have labelled the protests as “riots” backed by foreign enemies, and protesters have faced deadly force amid a near-total shutdown of internet and communications.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Day four of the World Urban Forum (WUF) in Baku brings a packed agenda on sustainable cities and the global housing crisis, with sessions on green housing, smart cities, public spaces and urban rights taking place on Wednesday (20 May) at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
Azerbaijan is stepping up efforts to strengthen its position as a regional hub for investment and connectivity ahead of the second Azerbaijan International Investment Forum in Baku this September.
Iran and Pakistan discussed developments in stalled Iran-U.S. negotiations during a visit to Tehran by Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsen Raza Naqvi, amid Islamabad’s ongoing mediation efforts.
President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev held a telephone conversation with French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday (21 May), with both leaders discussing bilateral ties, regional developments and ongoing peace efforts in the South Caucasus.
Georgia’s parliament speaker has accused Britain of “blatant hypocrisy” after London quietly allowed Russian-origin oil products into the country - a move UK officials had reportedly urged Tbilisi to avoid.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will attend a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in the Swedish city of Helsingborg on Thursday and Friday, diplomatic sources said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment