Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
The U.S. on Saturday welcomed the ceasefire between Cambodia and Thailand, which ended weeks of deadly border clashes, and called on both countries to fully implement the Kuala Lumpur Peace Agreement.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio urged Cambodia and Thailand “to immediately honour this commitment and fully implement the terms of the Kuala Lumpur Peace Accords,” according to a statement.
The truce, reached earlier on Saturday, halted 20 days of fighting along the two countries’ disputed 800-kilometre (500-mile) border, which left 99 people dead and displaced nearly a million civilians.
The peace agreement was originally signed in October in Kuala Lumpur in the presence of U.S. President Donald Trump and Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim, but implementation stalled after Thai soldiers were seriously injured in a landmine explosion. The accord followed earlier clashes in July, when five days of fighting killed dozens.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres described the ceasefire as “a positive step towards alleviating the suffering of civilians, ending current hostilities, and creating an environment conducive to achieving lasting peace.” He commended ASEAN chair Malaysia, China, and the U.S. for supporting the resolution and said the UN “stands ready to support efforts aimed at sustaining peace and stability in the region.”
China also welcomed the truce, noting that “dialogue and consultation is a viable and effective way to resolve complex disputes.” A Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Foreign Minister Wang Yi will meet his Cambodian and Thai counterparts in Yunnan this week alongside military representatives to facilitate further communication and consolidation of the ceasefire.
Japan similarly expressed support for the agreement, with Press Secretary Toshihiro Kitamura saying Tokyo “strongly hopes the ceasefire will be steadily implemented.”
The Cambodia-Thailand border dispute centres on territorial claims, including ancient temples, and has periodically escalated into armed clashes despite previous diplomatic efforts.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment