Great Pyramid of Giza engineered with earthquake resistance, new study finds
The Great Pyramid of Giza has survived for more than 4,600 years, outlasting empires, invasions and natural disasters. Now, researchers believe the...
The United States says it is working to secure a renewed ceasefire between Thailand and Cambodia, expressing cautious optimism that an agreement could be reached early next week, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Friday.
Speaking to journalists, Rubio said Washington was pressing both sides to return to previously signed commitments, adding that talks were ongoing and could yield results by Monday or Tuesday. He said the objective was to restore compliance and halt the renewed fighting along the border.
The latest clashes come despite written ceasefire commitments made earlier by both governments. Rubio said those agreements had temporarily reduced hostilities but were no longer being observed, as both sides accuse each other of violating the terms. He said the current diplomatic effort was aimed at bringing Thailand and Cambodia back to the negotiating table.
The conflict centres on a long-running territorial dispute along an 800-kilometre border drawn during the colonial era. Several ancient temple sites lie along the frontier and have repeatedly acted as flashpoints during periods of tension.
Violence this month has intensified, with officials reporting at least 21 people killed in Thailand and 18 in Cambodia. More than 800,000 residents on both sides of the border have been displaced as fighting spread to populated areas.
Rubio said he spoke by phone on Thursday with Thai Foreign Minister Sihasak Phuangketkeow and confirmed that U.S. officials would continue diplomatic contacts over the weekend. The renewed ceasefire push comes ahead of a scheduled meeting of ASEAN foreign ministers in Kuala Lumpur on Monday, where the crisis is expected to feature prominently.
Earlier this year, U.S. President Donald Trump said American diplomacy had helped bring about a ceasefire between Thailand and Cambodia, listing the dispute among conflicts he claimed had been resolved. Rubio’s comments suggest that while fighting was temporarily halted, enforcing the agreements has proved more difficult.
The renewed diplomatic effort reflects growing concern that without sustained pressure and monitoring, the ceasefire risks remaining fragile, with civilian populations continuing to bear the cost of unresolved border tensions.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vučić said he was pessimistic that an agreement would be reached before Friday’s deadline regarding Hungarian oil company MOL group's bid to acquire a majority stake in Naftna Industrija Srbije (NIS), the operator of Serbia’s only oil refinery.
U.S. President Donald Trump surprised NATO allies by announcing plans to deploy an additional 5,000 American troops to Poland, just hours before Secretary of State Marco Rubio was due to meet alliance ministers in Sweden on Friday against the backdrop of growing divisions over the Iran war.
SpaceX stopped the launch of its 12th Starship rocket from Texas on Thursday and said it will attempt the high-stakes test flight again on Friday, as Elon Musk's space company nears a record-breaking public listing.
The U.S. has arrested Adys Lastres Morera, the sister of the head of GAESA, a military-run business group which owns Cuba’s most profitable enterprises, including the island’s five-star hotels, and its largest port.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment