Afghanistan, Belarus agree to deepen industrial cooperation
Afghanistan and Belarus have agreed to advance joint industrial projects, investment and technical cooperation following talks in Minsk, as Kabul s...
An explosive device found in a vehicle linked to one of the alleged attackers in Bondi shooting has been secured and removed according to Police. The incident left 12 people dead.
While addressing the Press following the incident Police Commisioner Mal Lyon said police located a vehicle in Campbell Parade in Bondi, which they believe has "several improvised explosive devices".
Lanyon said a rescue bomb disposal unit was at the scene working on the vehicle.
He also said that 29 people in various conditions have been transported to the hospital from the scene.
Police have now said that the devices have been secured, they are being removed but police investigators are will remain on site throughout the night.
They also confirmed that the shooting incident was a "terrorist attack" targetted at Australia's Jewish community.
In an earlier post on X, News South Wales police said, "The police operation is ongoing and we continue to urge people to avoid the area."
In a different post also via its X account, the Police had earlier urged people to stay away from the area and seek shelter until the situation was under control.
Israeli President Walter Herzog has called on the Australian President to fight antisemitism after jews were attacked while lighting the first lights of Hanukkah.
"These very moments our sisters and brothers in Sydney, Australia, (are) being attacked by vile terrorists in a very cruel attack on Jews who went to light the first candle of Hanukkah on Bondi Beach," Herzog said.
"Our heart goes out to them. Our heart misses a beat." he added.
According to DPA news agency, the Australian Jewish Association said that there had been a shooting at a public Hanukkah event.
Footage circulating online showed people scattering in different directions while gunshots could be heard in the background.
Following are comments from world leaders in the wake of the deadly shooting:
Anthony Albanese, Prime Minister of Australia, "This is a targeted attack on Jewish Australians on the first day of Hanukkah, which should be a day of joy, a celebration of faith.
"At this dark moment for our nation, our police and security agencies are working to determine anyone associated with this outrage," Albanese added.
Sussan Ley Opposition leader of Australia said, "Australians are in deep mourning tonight, with hateful violence striking at the heart of an iconic Australian community, a place we all know so well and love, Bondi."
Keir Starmer, UK Prime Minister said, “Deeply distressing news from Australia. The United Kingdom sends our thoughts and condolences to everyone affected by the appalling attack in Bondi Beach."
Gideon Sa'ar Foreign Minister of Israel said, "I'm appalled by the murderous shooting attack at a Hanukkah event in Sydney, Australia."
"These are the results of the anti-Semitic rampage in the streets of Australia over the past two years, with the anti-Semitic and inciting calls of 'Globalise the Intifada' that were realised today."
Ursula von der Leyen European Commission President said, "Shocked by the tragic attack at Bondi Beach. I send my heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims."
"Europe stands with Australia and Jewish communities everywhere. We are united against violence, antisemitism and hatred," von der Leyen added.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment