live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Thailand’s caretaker Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Saturday (13 December) that Thai forces would continue military action along the Cambodia border until Bangkok believes there is no longer a threat to Thai territory or civilians.
The comments came hours after Thailand launched air operations and after U.S. President Donald Trump said he had spoken to Anutin and Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet and secured agreement to ‘cease all shooting’. Neither leader publicly confirmed any such deal. Anutin said there was no ceasefire in place, writing online that Thailand’s actions ‘this morning’ made its position clear.
The White House said Trump expected all parties to honour commitments made during the talks and would hold anyone accountable “as necessary” to stop the killing and secure durable peace.
Hun Manet said on Saturday he welcomed a proposal from Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim, who has been acting as a mediator, to stop hostilities from Saturday evening. Anwar, as chair of ASEAN, urged both sides to refrain from further military action from 1500 GMT and said an ASEAN observer team led by Malaysia’s chief of defence forces would deploy to the border, with the U.S. government providing satellite monitoring support.
Thailand’s foreign minister said Bangkok would cooperate with the observer team but argued any ceasefire announcement must be preceded by talks, saying it could not simply be declared while fighting continued. Anutin also told reporters there had been no agreement to halt operations.
Thailand announced a curfew on Sunday in its south-eastern Trat province as fighting spread to coastal areas of the disputed border region. The curfew covers five districts bordering Koh Kong in Cambodia, but excludes the tourist islands of Koh Chang and Koh Kood. A curfew remains in place in the eastern Sakeo province.
Thai forces on Saturday said they had destroyed a bridge that Cambodia had been using to deliver heavy weapons and other equipment to the region, and launched operations targeting pre-positioned artillery in Cambodia’s coastal Koh Kong province. Cambodia accused Thailand of striking civilian infrastructure.
The latest clashes are part of renewed heavy fighting along the 817km border. Thailand’s defence ministry reported exchanges across multiple provinces and said Cambodia’s use of heavy weapons made Thai retaliation necessary. Thai authorities said civilians were injured in Sisaket province.
Thailand and Cambodia have exchanged heavy-weapons fire since Monday, in some of the most intense fighting since a five-day clash in July, which ended with U.S. and Malaysian mediation. This round of fighting strains an October ceasefire framework linked to Trump’s earlier involvement. Thailand said it suspended implementation last month after a Thai soldier was maimed by a landmine that Bangkok alleges was newly laid by Cambodia, a claim Phnom Penh denies.
Hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced on both sides of the border since the latest escalation, as civilians seek shelter from the cross-border fire.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment