live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy says recent talks with U.S. representatives on a possible peace plan were “constructive, although not easy,” as he prepares for new consultations with European leaders in the coming days.
Zelenskyy is expected in London on Monday (8 December) for talks at Downing Street alongside French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz. European leaders are seeking to secure a direct role in shaping the endgame of the war.
UK's Work and Pensions Secretary Pat McFadden said Ukraine’s security and self determination would be at the heart of the London discussions. He described the U.S.-led negotiations as being at a really pivotal moment.
In a nightly video address, Zelenskyy said U.S. officials now clearly understand Ukraine’s core positions on peace, security and reconstruction.
Zelenskyy said Kyiv would continue working in good faith with Washington and that next steps and formats for further talks had been agreed. He added that not everything could be settled by phone and that detailed work would continue through teams on security, peace and reconstruction.
His comments followed a lengthy phone call on Saturday with Donald Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son in law Jared Kushner.
"Yesterday we spoke with Steven Witkoff and Jared Kushner. I thank them for their readiness to work together 24/7. The American representatives know the basic Ukrainian positions. The conversation was constructive, although not easy," Zelenskyy said.
Trump said he had spoken both to Russian President Vladimir Putin and to Ukrainian leaders, including Zelenskyy. He added that he was disappointed the Ukrainian president had not yet personally reviewed the U.S. proposal, despite what Trump described as strong support from his team. Trump said Russia was “fine with it,” but he was not certain that Zelenskyy was yet aligned.
"So we've been speaking to President Putin and we've been speaking to Ukrainian leaders, including Zelenskyy, President Zelenskyy," Trump said.
"And I have to say that I'm a little bit disappointed that President Zelenskyy hasn't yet read the proposal. That was as of a few hours ago. His people love it. But he hasn't. Russia's fine with it," he added.
Witkoff and Kushner had just completed two days of closed door talks in Miami with Ukraine’s chief negotiator Rustem Umerov. Both sides described the meetings as constructive discussions aimed at shaping a credible pathway toward a durable and just peace. Witkoff was also expected to brief Umerov on his earlier visit to Moscow, where he met Putin.
After three days of talks in Miami, Trump’s outgoing Ukraine envoy Keith Kellogg told Reuters that a deal to end the war was “really close,” but depended on Russia’s cooperation. He said negotiations remain stuck on two key issues, the future size of Ukraine’s army and the status of the eastern Donbas under Russian control.
Washington has been pressing Kyiv and Moscow to engage around a multi point peace plan. Early versions triggered criticism in Ukraine and across Europe for appearing too favourable to Russian demands. Those drafts included limits on Ukraine’s military, restrictions on NATO involvement and acceptance of Russian control over parts of the Donbas.
European leaders have since pushed for a step by step diplomatic track backed by long term security guarantees and sustained military aid. They have also promoted the idea of a European led security force to monitor any future agreement, a proposal rejected by Moscow.
Russia says it is open to talks and blames Kyiv and the West for blocking peace. Ukraine and its allies say the Kremlin is using diplomacy to entrench battlefield gains. Putin has ruled out territorial concessions and has warned that Russia would take the Donbas by force if Ukraine refuses to withdraw.
Trump has said ending the war in Ukraine remains his toughest foreign policy challenge. At the same time, the latest U.S. National Security Strategy did not list Russia as a direct threat to Europe. Moscow welcomed the document as a positive signal.
European officials reacted cautiously. Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk urged Washington to preserve transatlantic unity, calling it the only realistic foundation for shared security.
Even as diplomacy accelerates, the fighting continues.
Over the weekend, Russia launched another large scale aerial attack across Ukraine. Kyiv reported a wave of missiles and drones overnight into Sunday, a day after hundreds more were fired across the country, triggering air raid alerts nationwide.
Macron expressed full solidarity with Ukraine after the latest strikes and said efforts with the Americans would continue.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment