Three killed in San Diego Islamic Centre shooting as police confirm suspects dead
Three people have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, including a security guard while the two suspects were later found ...
Former President Jair Bolsonaro will begin a 27-year prison sentence for a coup plot against his successor, a decision made by Brazil's Supreme Court on Tuesday, marking the culmination of years of political turmoil and legal battles.
The Supreme Court’s four-judge panel unanimously upheld the decision, rejecting Bolsonaro's appeal earlier this month.
Justice Alexandre de Moraes ordered Bolsonaro to start serving his sentence at the Federal Police Superintendency in Brasília, where he has been held since Saturday after tampering with his ankle monitor.
He had been under house arrest in a separate case before his arrest.
Bolsonaro, 70, was detained after he used a soldering iron to tamper with his ankle monitor ahead of a planned vigil outside his home.
He denied any intent to escape, attributing his actions to paranoia and hallucinations caused by medication. The court ruled that the tampering violated the terms of his house arrest.
In September, Bolsonaro was sentenced to 27 years and three months in prison for conspiring to overturn the 2022 election results, in which he lost to leftist President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.
The coup plot charges were related to his efforts to interfere with the peaceful transfer of power.
Bolsonaro’s arrest is a major setback for the former president, who rose from the far-right fringe to power in 2019. Since leaving office in 2023, he has been banned from holding public office and faced several legal challenges.
Former ally, U.S. President Donald Trump, who had supported Bolsonaro, has distanced himself, and recently began reversing tariffs imposed to punish Bolsonaro's prosecution.
Congressman Lindbergh Farias called the ruling "a memorable day for Brazilian democracy," as it marked the first time in Brazil’s history that a former president and military officials were arrested for a coup attempt.
Bolsonaro's legal team, led by attorney Celso Vilardi, said the case was rushed and vowed to continue appealing the decision. Vilardi argued that more time should have been allowed for further appeals.
Bolsonaro’s son, Congressman Eduardo Bolsonaro, described the prosecution as “psychological torture” and a “rigged game.”
His brother, Carlos Bolsonaro, stated that Bolsonaro was “emotionally destroyed” by the situation. Despite this, Bolsonaro has repeatedly insisted that he will run for president again in 2026. His political future remains uncertain, however, given the declining public support and legal issues.
Although Bolsonaro's defenders maintain that he is still politically strong, the few supporters who gathered outside the Federal Police building on Tuesday reflected his diminished influence.
Bolsonaro's defence has shifted the focus to his health issues, claiming that his frailty is the reason behind the legal challenges.
Despite the setback, Bolsonaro’s right-wing allies continue to push for his return to power, and tensions within Brazil’s polarised political landscape persist.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Three people have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, including a security guard while the two suspects were later found dead after the attack, authorities have confirmed.
At least four people have been killed in protests across Kenya over sharp fuel price rises, as a nationwide transport strike brought parts of the country to a standstill.
Gunmen killed at least 10 people, including women and children, in an attack on a rural community in Nigeria’s northwestern Katsina State, residents said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s upcoming visit to China is expected to focus on strengthening bilateral ties, particularly through expanded trade and economic cooperation.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment