Ukraine imposes new sanctions targeting Russian maritime and defence supply chains
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals co...
The Trump administration's first U.S. weapons aid packages for Ukraine have been approved and could soon ship as Washington resumes sending arms to Kyiv - this time under a new financial agreement with allies - two sources familiar with the situation told Reuters.
This is the first use of a new mechanism developed by the U.S. and allies to supply Ukraine with weapons from U.S. stocks using funds from NATO countries.
Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Elbridge Colby has approved as many as two $500 million shipments under the new mechanism called the Prioritized Ukraine Requirements List, known under the acronym PURL, the sources said.
The renewed transatlantic cooperation, which aims to bolster Kyiv with as much as $10 billion worth of weapons, comes as U.S. President Donald Trump has expressed frustration with Moscow's ongoing attacks on its neighbour despite his efforts to achieve a negotiated end to the conflict.
So far, the Trump administration has only sold weapons to Ukraine or shipped donations which were authorised by former President Joe Biden, who was a staunch supporter of Kyiv.
The sources declined to give an exact inventory of what has been approved for purchase by the Europeans for Ukraine, but said it included air defence systems, which Ukraine says it needs urgently given the huge increase in Russian drone and missile attacks.
One of the sources said the PURL list was making its way through the process after clearing the Pentagon's policy unit.
The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
"It's the stuff they've been asking for. A lot of stuff," said the source. "It's the flow that's allowed them to stabilise the lines thus far."
According to experts, Ukraine's needs remain consistent with previous months - air defences, interceptors, systems, rockets, and artillery.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Eric Dane, the actor best known for his roles in 'Grey’s Anatomy' and 'Euphoria', died on Thursday, at the age of 53 after a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). His family confirmed his death after what they described as a “courageous battle” with ALS.
An Austrian climber has been convicted of gross negligent manslaughter after his girlfriend died from hypothermia while climbing Austria’s highest peak, the Grossglockner, in January 2025.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals connected to Moscow’s military and energy sectors, according to official decrees issued on Saturday.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
A technical fault in the helium system of NASA’s next-generation moon rocket was announced on Saturday, ruling out the planned March launch window for the Artemis II mission.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment