Trump says he will raise global tariff rate from 10% to 15%
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum all...
Over 100,000 people have been evacuated in Pakistan’s southern Sindh province as floodwaters continue to rise, officials said on Friday.
Sindh’s Senior Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon confirmed that 109,320 residents have so far been relocated to safer areas near rivers. “Most people have been evacuated from Katcha areas as a precautionary measure,” Memon added.
The Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) issued flood warnings in several districts as water levels in the Sutlej and Chenab rivers continue to rise. The PDMA also warned that the Indus River at Guddu is expected to reach high to very high flood levels from 7–8 September.
Heavy rain is forecast in Sindh, Punjab, Gilgit-Baltistan, Kashmir, and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa from Saturday onwards, according to the meteorological department.
The Sindh government has established relief camps for displaced people and deployed rescue and medical teams across flood-prone districts to ensure timely evacuation and care.
Floodwaters reached Sindh after causing devastation in northern regions and northeastern Punjab. On Friday, Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) issued a fresh flood warning for Punjab following additional water releases from India’s Sutlej dams.
New Delhi has recently issued warnings to Islamabad after putting the Indus Waters Treaty on hold in April. Indian External Affairs Ministry spokesman Randhir Jaiswal said flood data is being shared with Pakistan for humanitarian purposes.
Meanwhile, Punjab authorities have evacuated around 900,000 people and 600,000 animals from flood-affected areas. For the first time in Pakistan’s 78-year history, the three eastern rivers—Chenab, Ravi, and Sutlej—overflowed simultaneously, affecting nearly 4,000 villages and over 2 million people.
In the last 24 hours, eight more people died in Punjab due to rain- and flood-related incidents, bringing the provincial death toll to 66 since 25 August.
Since the monsoon began on 26 June, at least 892 people have died across Pakistan, with more than 580 deaths reported since 14 August, including over 400 in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Authorities say the current floods are the worst since the catastrophic deluge of 2022, which submerged a third of the country, killed over 1,700 people, and caused $32 billion in damage.
In India, recent monsoon rains have triggered cloudbursts, flash floods, and landslides in northern states, claiming 43 lives in Punjab since 1 August and over 350 deaths in Himachal Pradesh since June.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Eric Dane, the actor best known for his roles in 'Grey’s Anatomy' and 'Euphoria', died on Thursday, at the age of 53 after a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). His family confirmed his death after what they described as a “courageous battle” with ALS.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
India and Brazil signed a mining and minerals cooperation pact on Saturday (21 February), as Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the two countries aim to increase bilateral trade to more than $20 billion within five years.
The Russian Defence Ministry claimed on Saturday (21 February) that its forces had captured another settlement in eastern Ukraine.
The U.S. military carried out a strike on Friday (20 February) against a vessel allegedly involved in narcotrafficking in the Eastern Pacific, according to U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment