Pope Leo visits Lebanon with urgent call for peace as Israeli strikes continue
Pope Leo travels to Lebanon on Sunday to deliver an appeal for peace in a country repeatedly struck by Israeli air raids, completing the second and fi...
Venezuela has condemned Donald Trump’s claim that its airspace is “closed in its entirety,” calling the remark a hostile act that breaches international law and echoes colonial pressure.
Caracas said the statement was arbitrary and unlawful, urging the UN and governments worldwide to reject what it described as aggression.
Trump’s comment appeared on his Truth Social page, telling airlines, pilots, drug traffickers and human smugglers to avoid Venezuelan skies. It carried no legal basis and no explanation. U.S. officials told Reuters they were surprised and unaware of any operation to enforce the order. The Pentagon and the White House declined to clarify the issue, deepening uncertainty in Caracas.
The remark comes as U.S. military activity intensifies around Venezuela. Over recent months, American forces have struck vessels Washington claims were transporting drugs, killing more than 80 people. Evidence has not been publicly presented. President Nicolás Maduro says the operations form part of a wider push to unseat him.
Venezuela’s response was swift. The government called the comment a “colonialist threat” and staged military exercises along its coast, showing anti-aircraft units manoeuvring on state television. The country accused Washington of seeking to impose control under the guise of counter-narcotics operations.
Tension has risen since the deployment of the USS Gerald R Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, accompanied by about 15,000 U.S. troops. Washington says the deployment targets drug trafficking, marking the largest U.S. military presence in the region since the 1989 Panama invasion. Trump has hinted that land operations to halt drug movements will begin soon and has authorised covert CIA activity in the country, according to U.S. officials.
Reaction in Washington has been divided. Senior Democrats and Republicans criticised Trump for acting without Congress. Chuck Schumer warned that his approach risks pulling the United States toward another foreign conflict. Marjorie Taylor Greene reminded followers that Congress alone can authorise war.
In Caracas, residents expressed concern about travel and isolation. Some worried they would struggle to see family abroad during the holidays. Venezuela said the announcement effectively suspends deportation flights that have returned nearly 14,000 Venezuelans from the U.S. in recent months.
Regional reactions are mixed. Colombia’s Gustavo Petro accused Washington of using force to dominate Latin America. Iran condemned Trump’s statement as a threat to aviation safety. Other leaders in the region support Washington’s pressure on the Maduro government.
The dispute escalated after the U.S. designated Cartel de los Soles, a group it alleges involves senior Venezuelan officials, as a foreign terrorist organisation. Caracas rejected the label entirely, calling it politically motivated.
Conditions inside Venezuela have tightened. Surveillance has increased in coastal states, and residents report GPS disruptions. Patrols have expanded as authorities brace for further U.S. activity.
The FAA had already warned airlines of a “potentially hazardous situation” due to heightened military activity. Several carriers halted flights, prompting Venezuela to revoke their operating rights altogether.
The legal status of the airspace remains unchanged. The political atmosphere, however, has shifted sharply. The dispute now sits between rhetoric and readiness, with both sides watching the other’s next move.
U.S. investigators have recovered the black box recorders from the wreckage of a UPS cargo plane that crashed in flames on takeoff in Louisville, Kentucky. At least twelve people died. The crash sent a wall of fire into an industrial corridor and forced the shutdown of the airport.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said on Friday that the group retains the right to respond to Israel’s killing of its top military commander, leaving open the possibility of a new conflict with the country.
The Government of Kazakhstan has condemned Ukraine’s latest drone strikes on a Caspian Pipeline Consortium terminal on the Russian Black sea.
Pope Leo travels to Lebanon on Sunday to deliver an appeal for peace in a country repeatedly struck by Israeli air raids, completing the second and final leg of his first overseas trip as head of the Catholic Church.
Four people have been killed and 14 injured after shots were fired at a child’s birthday party in Stockton, California. Police say the attack may have been targeted, but the investigation is still ongoing and no suspect has been identified.
Pompeii's ancient Roman frescoes, shattered and buried for centuries, could get a second life thanks to a pioneering robotic system designed to support archaeologists in one of their most painstaking tasks: reassembling fragmented artefacts.
Hondurans will go to the polls on Sunday, November 30, 2025, in a tightly contested presidential election marked by heated accusations of fraud.
McLaren's Oscar Piastri won the Qatar Grand Prix sprint race from pole position and for the third year in a row on Saturday (November 29) to trim teammate Lando Norris's Formula One championship lead to 22 points.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment