EU backs military training inside Ukraine after ceasefire, Kallas says

EU’s Kaja Kallas speaks before defence talks in Copenhagen, August 29, 2025
Reuters

European Union defence ministers have backed plans to expand military training operations inside Ukraine after any ceasefire, EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas confirmed on Friday.

EU ministers meeting in Copenhagen voiced "broad support" for shifting the bloc’s training mission into Ukrainian territory, should a ceasefire with Russia be reached. The idea, presented as part of longer-term security guarantees, would require approval from all 27 EU member states.

Kaja Kallas, the EU's top diplomat, said the bloc must be ready to take on greater responsibility.

"We are the largest provider of training to Ukraine's military. We have trained over 80,000 soldiers so far, and we must be ready to do more," she told reporters.

The proposed shift is being framed as both a deterrent to future Russian aggression and a signal of Europe’s readiness to carry more of the security burden.

"Europe will fully pay its part," Kallas said, adding that such guarantees must be "robust and credible".

The move would mark a significant expansion of the EU Military Assistance Mission (EUMAM) for Ukraine, which currently operates outside Ukrainian territory. Any change to its mandate requires full consensus among member states - and that may be difficult to secure.

Still, Kallas emphasised the need to demonstrate commitment to Washington, saying, "We need to show how we are taking responsibility."

Tags