Israel stops dozens of Gaza aid flotilla boats in nighttime operation
Israeli forces intercepted dozens of Gaza-bound aid vessels in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday (18 May), prompting condemnation from the United...
Italy’s government gave final approval on Wednesday for the construction of a long-planned suspension bridge linking Sicily to the mainland, a project touted as the world’s longest single-span bridge despite decades of environmental, financial and logistical concerns.
The 3.7-km Strait of Messina bridge has been under discussion since the late 1960s as part of efforts to boost economic development in Italy’s underdeveloped south.
The right-wing government of Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has made the project a priority, allocating €13.5 billion ($15.63 billion) over the next ten years for construction and surrounding infrastructure.
The Interministerial Committee for Economic Planning and Sustainable Development (CIPESS) approved the plan at a meeting in Rome, the League party of Deputy Prime Minister and Transport Minister Matteo Salvini said.
According to the Messina Strait Company overseeing the project, the bridge is expected to be completed by 2032.
The project has long faced strong opposition from environmentalists, economists, and some local communities who argue that building such a massive structure in a seismically active area poses significant risks.
Concerns have also been raised about potential cost overruns, environmental degradation, and the risk of mafia infiltration in the construction process.
Some citizens' groups argue the bridge is unnecessary, while environmental organisations this week filed a complaint with the European Union citing serious environmental risks.
Supporters, however, say the bridge will deliver critical infrastructure to Sicily and improve connectivity between the island and the mainland, replacing the existing ferry system with faster road and rail transport. Advocates see the project as key to revitalising the economy in southern Italy.
The contract for the bridge was awarded to the Eurolink consortium following an international tender. The group is led by Italy’s largest construction firm, Webuild, and includes Spanish firm Sacyr and Japan’s IHI.
The Messina Strait Company said Wednesday’s approval clears the way for preliminary works to begin, including archaeological and geological surveys. Land expropriations will also be authorised.
Last week, Salvini told reporters that a review by the national audit court would still be required before the CIPESS decision can take effect. A source familiar with the matter said the process may take several weeks.
Webuild, which has ongoing projects around the world including in Saudi Arabia’s NEOM mega-development, has estimated the bridge construction could create more than 100,000 jobs. Sacyr previously participated in the Panama Canal expansion, and IHI has contributed to major suspension bridges in Japan and Türkiye’s.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Eurovision Song Contest once again proved how unpredictable its outcome can be, with Bulgaria’s Dara turning a late surge into a dominant win while several expected contenders collapsed early. At the same time, the absence of the South Caucasus region from the final raised questions.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Russia and China are prepared to support each other on issues linked to sovereignty and national unity, ahead of his visit to Beijing for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 19th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
A U.S. jury has ruled against Elon Musk in his lawsuit against OpenAI, finding the company not liable over claims it had abandoned its original mission to benefit humanity.
Two teenage gunmen opened fire on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California, killing a security guard and two other men outside the mosque before the suspects were found dead, apparently from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment