Eight killed after Chinese tour bus plunges into frozen Lake Baikal
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, au...
Russia accused Ukraine of trying to attack President Vladimir Putin’s residence on Monday, an allegation dismissed by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy as a “complete fabrication” amidst sensitive peace negotiations.
The exchange added to tensions between the two countries, with Russia saying it was reviewing its position in negotiations in response to the alleged attack, dealing a fresh blow to already fragile peace efforts.
U.S. President Donald Trump said President Vladimir Putin had told him about the incident during a phone call on Monday morning and said the allegation had angered him. Despite that, Trump said he still believed a peace agreement could be close.
“It’s one thing to be offensive,” Trump told reporters. “It’s another thing to attack his house. It’s not the right time to do any of that. And I learned about it from President Putin today. I was very angry about it.”
Trump met Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Florida on Sunday and later said the two sides were “getting a lot closer, maybe very close” to ending the war, although he acknowledged that “thorny” territorial issues remained unresolved.
Earlier on Monday, President Putin adopted a defiant tone, urging Russian forces to press ahead with efforts to gain full control of Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia region. The Kremlin also repeated its demand that Ukraine withdraw from the remaining parts of the eastern Donbas region under Kyiv’s control.
A Kremlin aide said Putin told Trump during their phone call that Russia was reassessing its stance in talks following the reported drone attack.
Zelenskyy rejected the accusation, calling it “a complete fabrication” and accusing the Kremlin of failing to take the steps needed to end the war.
Speaking to reporters later outside his home in Palm Beach, Florida, Trump said he had no further information about the alleged incident. Asked whether U.S. intelligence agencies had evidence to support Russia’s claim, he replied: “We’ll find out.”
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Eric Dane, the actor best known for his roles in 'Grey’s Anatomy' and 'Euphoria', died on Thursday, at the age of 53 after a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). His family confirmed his death after what they described as a “courageous battle” with ALS.
An Austrian climber has been convicted of gross negligent manslaughter after his girlfriend died from hypothermia while climbing Austria’s highest peak, the Grossglockner, in January 2025.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals connected to Moscow’s military and energy sectors, according to official decrees issued on Saturday.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
A technical fault in the helium system of NASA’s next-generation moon rocket was announced on Saturday, ruling out the planned March launch window for the Artemis II mission.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment