live Trump says attack on Iran was paused, signals possible nuclear deal- Middle East conflict
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday that he had paused a planned attack on Iran after Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington. He said th...
A massive mudslide triggered by surging floodwaters swept through a village in the northern Indian Himalayan state of Uttarakhand on Tuesday, killing at least four people and leaving more than 50 missing, officials said.
The incident struck Dharali village in the Kheer Gad area near Harsil, where heavy rains sent torrents of mud and debris crashing down the mountainside, submerging homes and roads. Local TV footage showed a river of mud engulfing the settlement as residents fled for safety.
“A massive mudslide struck Dharali village, triggering a sudden flow of debris and water through the settlement,” the Indian Army’s Central Command said in a post on social media platform X.
Rescue teams from the army and disaster response forces have reached the affected area, and operations were under way to locate and assist people trapped beneath debris, authorities said.
“Four people were killed and many have been rescued so far,” Uttarkashi district administrator Prashant Arya told local media.
The Uttarakhand chief minister’s office shared a video update showing the scale of damage, with buildings buried and muddy torrents cutting through the village.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed condolences to those affected, adding that every effort was being made to support rescue and relief operations.
Uttarakhand, a mountainous state bordering China and Nepal, is prone to flash floods and landslides, hazards that climate experts increasingly link to global warming.
In 2021, flash floods in the state killed more than 200 people and swept away two hydroelectric power stations.
The Indian Himalayas are home to around 10,000 glaciers, many of which are rapidly retreating due to rising temperatures, increasing the risk of glacial lake outburst floods and landslides.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Eurovision Song Contest once again proved how unpredictable its outcome can be, with Bulgaria’s Dara turning a late surge into a dominant win while several expected contenders collapsed early. At the same time, the absence of the South Caucasus region from the final raised questions.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Russia and China are prepared to support each other on issues linked to sovereignty and national unity, ahead of his visit to Beijing for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 19th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
A U.S. jury has ruled against Elon Musk in his lawsuit against OpenAI, finding the company not liable over claims it had abandoned its original mission to benefit humanity.
Two teenage gunmen opened fire on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California, killing a security guard and two other men outside the mosque before the suspects were found dead, apparently from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment