Moscow fuel queues add to pressure on Russia’s rouble
Fuel restrictions have returned to parts of Moscow and the surrounding region, adding another strain to Russia&...
Iran and the E3, Britain, France, and Germany, may hold nuclear talks next week, Tasnim reported, amid European warnings that failure to resume negotiations could trigger renewed international sanctions.
“The principle of holding talks has been agreed upon, but discussions are ongoing regarding the timing and location. The host country for next week’s meeting has not yet been finalised,” Tasnim quoted a source familiar with the matter as saying.
News of the possible talks follows the first official call between Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi and the foreign ministers of the so-called E3 — Britain, France, and Germany — as well as the European Union’s foreign policy chief, since last month’s Israeli and U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear sites.
The E3, together with China and Russia, remain signatories to the 2015 nuclear agreement with Iran, which saw sanctions lifted in exchange for limits on Iran’s nuclear activities. The United States withdrew from the deal in 2018.
The E3 nations have warned that unless nuclear negotiations resume and yield concrete results, they will trigger the “snapback mechanism” to reimpose United Nations. sanctions on Iran by the end of August.
“If the EU and E3 want to play a constructive role, they must act responsibly and abandon outdated strategies of threats and pressure, including the so-called ‘snapback’, which they have no moral or legal basis to pursue,” Araqchi said earlier this week.
The snapback clause allows for the reactivation of U.N. sanctions prior to the expiration of the Security Council resolution enshrining the nuclear deal, set for 18 October.
Before the recent Israel-Iran conflict, Tehran and Washington held five rounds of indirect nuclear talks mediated by Oman. However, key disagreements remained — particularly over Iran’s uranium enrichment levels, which Western powers seek to reduce to eliminate any risk of weaponisation.
Iran insists its nuclear programme is purely for civilian and peaceful purposes.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment