Morocco battles forest blaze near Tetouan as Canadair planes join fight

AFP

A forest fire near Tetouan in northern Morocco has triggered an intensive response, with ground crews and Canadair aircraft battling the flames since early Saturday.

Moroccan authorities launched a full-scale firefighting effort on Saturday after a blaze broke out in a forest near Mellalyène, within the Tetouan region.

Fouad El Assali, director of Climate and Environmental Risks and Reforestation at the National Water and Forest Agency, confirmed the fire began in the morning and is being fought with “intensive ground operations” and support from four Canadair amphibious aircraft.

“It is still too early to assess the extent of the damage,” El Assali told Morocco’s national television website.

Authorities are working to prevent the spread of the flames amid heightened fire risks across northern provinces. On 15 July, the National Water and Forest Agency urged residents near forest zones to exercise caution and report any signs of smoke or suspicious activity.

The Moroccan government announced on 16 May that $17 million had been allocated for wildfire response during the 2025 summer season.

According to Abderrahim Houmy, director general of the National Water and Forest Agency, Morocco saw 382 wildfires in 2024—an 82% decrease compared to 2023. He said the fires burned 874 hectares, with secondary grasses and seasonal plants accounting for nearly 45% of the affected area.

Forests make up roughly 12% of Morocco’s land area and remain vulnerable to seasonal fires driven by both climate conditions and human negligence.

Tags