Trump to visit China next month as U.S. tariffs take center stage
U.S. President Donald Trump will travel to China from 31 March to 2 April, the White House has confirmed, for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping ...
A key cable car project designed to carry spectators to the women’s Alpine skiing events at the Milan–Cortina Winter Olympics will not be ready in time, prompting organisers to seek temporary school closures to help manage transport pressures in the Dolomite resort.
The Apollonio–Socrepes gondola, intended to take visitors directly from Cortina d’Ampezzo’s town centre to the competition slopes, has faced repeated delays and will miss its original delivery timeline ahead of the Games, which run from 6 February to 22.
The cableway is among the most controversial Olympic infrastructure projects, with construction starting late and drawing opposition from some residents who raised safety concerns about building in a landslide-prone area. Although the state-backed Olympic infrastructure agency Simico has repeatedly said the project would be completed on time, crucial elements remain unfinished.
According to sources close to the project, the gondola’s 50 cabins have yet to be installed and mandatory safety testing still needs to be carried out. In a letter seen by Reuters, Games organisers acknowledged the delay and asked for school closures to reduce traffic and strengthen the town’s transport capacity during peak Olympic days.
Simico said on Friday, 30 January, that work was continuing according to schedule, noting that the main cable had been pulled and that splicing work was beginning. The agency added that alignment checks at stations and pylons were under way, with mechanical and hydraulic works expected to finish early next week before safety inspections begin.
Fabio Saldini, commissioner and chief executive of Simico, said the gondola was not an indispensable Olympic project but was intended to ease access to venues and limit the use of private vehicles. He stressed that mountain weather posed challenges but that safety, quality and timelines remained priorities.
Cortina d’Ampezzo, which previously hosted the Winter Olympics in 1956, lacks a rail connection and relies on a single main road that often becomes congested during busy periods. With flags already going up around town and final preparations under way, organisers are now adjusting plans to ensure spectators can reach venues smoothly despite the cable car setback.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin on Wednesday, telling him that new restrictions imposed on the communist-run island were unacceptable.
The Board of Peace is entering uncharted territory, with questions over its ability to manage Gaza reconstruction, its potential to rival the United Nations, and its impact on strategic allies in the Middle East and South Caucasus.
U.S. President Donald Trump will travel to China from 31 March to 2 April, the White House has confirmed, for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping as a U.S. Supreme Court ruling reshapes his tariff policy.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) said Friday that its life‑saving food and nutrition assistance in Somalia could end by April without urgent funding, leaving millions at risk of severe hunger.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
UK politicians have renewed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, to be removed from the line of succession following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office and revelations over his links to convicted U.S. sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Hungary announced on Friday it was blocking a €90 billion ($106 billion) European Union loan intended to support Ukraine’s 2026–2027 budget and military needs, citing disruptions to Russian oil deliveries via the Druzhba pipeline.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment