Iran designates EU naval and air forces as ‘terrorist entities’ in reciprocal move
Iran announced on Saturday that it has designated the naval and air forces of European Union member states as “terrorist entities” in a reciprocal...
The Vatican has launched an investigation into Spanish Bishop Rafael Zornoza over an allegation of sexual abuse of a teenage boy in the 1990s, a charge the cleric firmly denies.
The Diocese of Cádiz y Ceuta said in a statement on Monday that Zornoza is temporarily suspending his public schedule while the inquiry is under way and will cooperate fully with Church authorities. The diocese added that the case is being investigated by a Church tribunal convened at the Vatican’s embassy in Spain, located in Madrid.
Spanish newspaper El País first reported the probe earlier on Monday, saying the accusation dates back nearly three decades. The diocese described the allegation as “very serious and also false,” stressing its confidence in the Church’s judicial process and the presumption of innocence.
Zornoza has led the Diocese of Cádiz y Ceuta, on Spain’s southern coast, since 2011. He is the first Catholic bishop in Spain publicly known to have been investigated by the Vatican for an abuse allegation.
“The accusations being made, referring to events that took place nearly thirty years ago, are very serious and also false,” the diocese said in its statement.
“There is full confidence in the justice system, and full cooperation will be provided in everything that is required. At the same time, it is necessary to remember to respect the presumption of innocence that applies to all persons.”
The Vatican press office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The Catholic Church, with an estimated 1.4 billion members, has been repeatedly shaken by abuse scandals around the world over recent decades, damaging its credibility and resulting in substantial compensation payments.
The investigation in Spain comes amid growing scrutiny of how such cases are handled within Church institutions.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Eric Dane, the actor best known for his roles in 'Grey’s Anatomy' and 'Euphoria', died on Thursday, at the age of 53 after a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). His family confirmed his death after what they described as a “courageous battle” with ALS.
Iran announced on Saturday that it has designated the naval and air forces of European Union member states as “terrorist entities” in a reciprocal move after the EU blacklisted the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
At least 10 people were killed and 50 wounded in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on Friday (20 February), two security sources told Reuters, after the Israeli military said it had targeted Hezbollah sites in the Baalbek area.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Saturday (21 February) dismissed U.S. claims that 32,000 civilians were killed during protests in Iran. He said Tehran has already released official figures and called for evidence to support any higher estimates.
Uzbekistan's president Shavkat Mirziyoyev has held a series of high-level meetings in the U.S. aimed at strengthening bilateral economic and strategic ties between the two countries.
Türkiye has signalled readiness to contribute to a proposed Gaza stabilisation force during the inaugural Board of Peace meeting on Thursday (19 February), but according to former Turkish diplomat Mehmet Öğütçü, the decisive factor will be whether Israel and the United States agree on Ankara’s role.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment