WUF13 closes as sustainable reconstruction and resettlement feature on final day
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion ...
Nine suspects were arrested on Saturday (11 April) in connection with a terror attack targeting a police post in Istanbul’s Beşiktaş district.
An investigation by Istanbul’s Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office is ongoing. Of the 17 suspects detained, 12 were processed, nine formally arrested, two released under judicial control and one released after questioning.
Three other suspects remain in police custody, while two of the attackers are receiving medical treatment.
Police findings indicate the attackers arrived in a rented car, exited with backpacks and long-barrelled weapons, and opened fire on nearby police units. Officers returned fire.
Two police officers were slightly injured in the gunfight, which Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan described as a “heinous act of terror”.
Türkiye’s Interior Minister, Mustafa Çiftçi, said the suspects involved in the armed clash had been identified, adding that “one had links to a group exploiting religion,” while another had a prior drug-related record.
Those detained are believed to have maintained ties to ISIS or knowingly assisted the attackers.
On 7 April, three attackers were killed in a gunfight with police working to thwart the attack, while two officers were slightly injured.
A week earlier, Turkish authorities detained 115 suspected ISIS members, who were allegedly planning to carry out attacks on Christmas and New Year celebrations in the country.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Archaeologists in Kyrgyzstan’s Naryn region are uncovering medieval bathhouses, mausoleums and ancient Silk Road settlements, while warning that many historical sites are rapidly deteriorating because of weather and erosion.
The nomination of Russian-Armenian businessman Ruben Vardanyan for the 2026 Václav Havel Human Rights Prize has triggered criticism.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan met U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday (22 May) on the sidelines of a NATO foreign ministers’ meeting in the Swedish city of Helsingborg.
Traditional pottery from Gijduvan has officially received geographical indication status in Uzbekistan, recognising the centuries-old craft as a product closely linked to its region of origin and cultural heritage.
CIS governments meeting in Ashgabat have endorsed a regional transport integration plan and advanced proposals to modernise heavy industry, highlighting a growing focus on overland trade routes and economic resilience.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment