live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Iran said no final decision has been made on a proposed agreement with Washington, despite suggestions from U.S. President Donald Trump that a deal could soon be signed in a European capital.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry said most of the agreement had been prepared, dismissing media reports and comments by U.S. President Donald Trump suggesting Tehran and Washington had reached a final decision on signing a peace deal.
“We have already said that the majority of the text was almost finalized. The problem arose as U.S. officials each time rose a new demand or changed their stance, both through their envoys (in mediated talks) and through frequent interviews with the media,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said in an interview with state broadcaster IRIB TV on Thursday night.
Baghaei said Iran remained focused on protecting its interests and red lines regardless of U.S. rhetoric and threats.
“Our officials have repeatedly emphasised that regardless of the rhetoric, threats, and claims of the other side, we are focused on securing the interests of the Iranian nation.”
“As soon as we reach a final conclusion,” Baghaei added, “we will definitely announce it officially.”
Semi-official news agencies, citing unnamed informed sources, reported that Tehran could agree to a text guaranteeing its key demands, including lifting restrictions on maritime access through the Strait of Hormuz, releasing frozen Iranian assets, removing economic sanctions, and securing endorsement of the ceasefire agreement by the UN Security Council.
“Whenever we reach the conclusion that it secures the interests of the Iranian nation, we will definitely announce it transparently,” the Foreign Ministry spokesman said.
Meanwhile, Major General Ali Abdollahi, commander of the Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters, downplayed threats by the U.S. President to target Iran’s oil infrastructure if Tehran does not agree to a deal soon.
He warned that Iran would cut oil and gas supplies from the region if its energy facilities were attacked.
“Either oil and gas exports are for everyone or it will not be possible for anyone,” official sources quoted the Iranian general as saying.
“We warn that if the U.S. tries to launch attacks against heroic Iran again, it will receive a more severe response than before, and the fire of war will become more widespread in addition to insecurity in the region,” he added, according to the Defa Press website.
His remarks came on the eve of the first anniversary of the Israel-U.S. war on Iran in June last year, which falls on Saturday.
In a separate statement marking the 12-day war, General Abdollahi said Iran’s armed forces were ready to respond to any threat against the country’s security, independence and territorial integrity with “impact-oriented operations”.
“This battle showed that the enemies, with their false and delusional calculations, failed to achieve their sinister and evil goals and faced a strategic and humiliating defeat,” the statement carried by the Sepah News website said.
The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), in a statement marking the anniversary of the June 2025 war, said Israel and the U.S. had failed in their efforts to divert Iran from the path of “dignity, independence, and progress”.
“But what happened in reality was a major defeat of the strategic calculations of the Zionist-American front and the recording of a lasting epic in the history of the resistance of the Iranian nation,” the Revolutionary Guards added.
Amid heightened tensions between Iranian and U.S. forces and an exchange of verbal threats, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi held telephone conversations on Friday with EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas and French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot.
According to Foreign Ministry statements, Iran’s top diplomat said U.S. attacks had rendered the fragile ceasefire “ineffective”.
Araghchi also criticised what he described as the silence of UN member states over repeated attacks on Iran’s territorial integrity, warning that this could “further increase insecurity” at both regional and global levels.
In separate calls with his Saudi and Turkish counterparts following the U.S. attacks, Araghchi reiterated Iran’s right to self-defence.
“He emphasized the inherent right of legitimate defense for a reciprocal response by our country's powerful Armed Forces,” the Foreign Ministry quoted him as saying.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of development at an organisation supporting Ukraine’s armed forces has told AnewZ.
Two days inside Uzbekistan’s newsrooms, hospitals, factories and technology hubs reveal a country eager to show how it is changing — while that transformation is still under way.
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani arrived in Islamabad on Wednesday for a two-day visit, marking the first trip by Syria’s top diplomat to Pakistan in 19 years as Damascus seeks to deepen ties with the country.
More than a year after Pakistan and India were involved in their most serious military confrontation in decades, a key airspace restriction between the nuclear-armed neighbours remains in force.
Uzbekistan has unveiled a sweeping package of business reforms, including easier access to loans, $1 billion in export support, a three-year moratorium on most inspections and stronger protections for entrepreneurs.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment