One killed, three injured in sword attack at Swedish school
One person was killed and three others injured on Friday when an 18-year-old man armed with a sword attacked students at a school in Fagersta, cent...
A powerful sandstorm sweeping across Gaza has further worsened living conditions for displaced Palestinians already struggling amid a deep humanitarian crisis.
The storm, carrying dust and strong winds from North Africa, has battered makeshift camps where thousands remain sheltering in tents following two years of Israeli military operations that left widespread destruction across the enclave.
Palestinian meteorologist Lays al-Allami said in a statement on social media platform X that a large-scale sandstorm formed along the northern coasts of Libya and Egypt and was moving eastward toward Palestinian territories.
In a separate post on 12 February, Allami warned that strong winds from the deserts of northeastern Africa would affect southern and central areas, with gusts intensifying at times.
The Palestinian Meteorological Service also said winds originating from Africa could be strong in places, causing heavy dust and moderate sea conditions.
Storm Intensifies Suffering in Camps
The dusty and turbulent weather has made daily life even more difficult for families living in fragile tents that offer little protection against sand and wind.
Displaced residents, particularly those suffering from chronic respiratory illnesses, fear the health impact of prolonged exposure to dust as strong gusts shake already damaged shelters.
According to the videos shared by activists on social media, powerful winds rattling tents and trees across parts of Gaza.
Despite a ceasefire in place since 10 October 2025, humanitarian conditions in the territory remain severe. Palestinians continue to face shortages of basic supplies and medical equipment, compounded by cold weather and recurring storms.
In December 2025, severe winter weather led to the collapse of buildings previously damaged during hostilities, resulting in casualties.
The latest sandstorm has added yet another layer of hardship for residents already coping with displacement and fragile living conditions.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of development at an organisation supporting Ukraine’s armed forces has told AnewZ.
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
Pakistan says it has added 12 sites to its UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List, taking the total from 25 to 37 and widening the country's roster of potential future nominations.
Uzbekistan and Georgia have launched an electronic permit system for international road freight, replacing paper documents in a move aimed at speeding up cross-border transport and cutting bureaucracy.
Kazakhstan accounts for 45% of Central Asia’s road and rail infrastructure investment, with around $32.3 billion committed as the region expands key transport links across Eurasia.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Google has committed $500,000 to a new digital safety programme in Pakistan, as debate grows over how to protect children from online risks and whether access to social media should be restricted.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment