Why Ukraine is targeting Wildberries warehouses in Russia
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes ai...
Countries worldwide sought to prevent the further spread of the hantavirus on Thursday, after an outbreak on a cruise ship, by tracking those who had disembarked before the virus was detected and anyone who had close contact with them since.
Three people - a Dutch couple and a German national - died in the outbreak on the MV Hondius.
In total, five people are confirmed to have contracted the virus, with another three suspected cases, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.
Hantavirus is usually spread by rodents but can in rare cases be transmitted person-to-person.
All passengers who disembarked in St. Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean, where the ship made a stop on 24 April, have been contacted, the ship's operator said. This included people from at least 12 countries, among them seven British citizens and six from the U.S.. The first confirmed case of hantavirus in this outbreak came in early May.
The WHO repeated that the risk to the general public was low even if the Andean strain of the virus, found in several victims, can in rare cases be transmitted among humans.
"This is not coronavirus, this is a very different virus," Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO Director of Epidemic and Pandemic Management, told a press conference. "This is not the same situation we were in six years ago."
The WHO said it was working on step-by-step guidance for when the dozens of passengers remaining on the ship, which is sailing to the Canary Islands, arrive there on Saturday or Sunday (9 or 10 May) and the passengers disembark and travel home. None of these passengers currently have any symptoms.
The WHO confirms that a Dutch woman tested negative for Hantavirus infection.
Britain's health security agency said an additional suspected case of hantavirus had been identified in a British national on the South Atlantic island of Tristan da Cunha.
Two British nationals already have been confirmed as cases of hantavirus, as part of its monitoring of the deadly outbreak on a luxury cruise ship, the UK Health Security Agency said in an update on Friday.
The agency did not provide further details of the new suspected case.
Seven British national disembarked the ship on 24 April in St Helena. The agency said two are currently isolating in Britain already, four are in St Helena and one has been traced outside the UK.
The United States' Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said it was closely monitoring the situation, adding that the risk to the American public was extremely low at the time. The U.S. CDC has classified the outbreak as a "level 3' emergency response, ABC News reported.
President Donald Trump told reporters on Thursday (7 May) he had been briefed on the hantavirus and expressed hope that it was under control.
"It's very much, we hope, under control," Trump said.
Asked whether Americans should be concerned about any spread of the virus, Trump replied: "I hope not." He also said, without elaborating, that a report on the virus was expected on Friday.
The Georgia Department of Public Health said it was monitoring two asymptomatic residents who had returned home after disembarking from the cruise ship.
The Arizona Department of Health Services said it was monitoring one resident, who was also on the ship, and was not symptomatic. According to the New York Times, California was monitoring a number of residents who had been on the ship.
Officials in Texas said that two residents who were passengers on the ship had returned to the U.S. before the outbreak was identified.
One French citizen has been in contact with a person who had fallen ill but was not showing symptoms, officials said.
Singapore has isolated and is testing two residents who were onboard, the Communicable Diseases Agency (CDA) said.
The ship's operator Oceanwide Expeditions said it was working to establish details of all passengers and crew who embarked and disembarked on various stops since 20 March.
The Dutch couple who died, and who are believed to be the first hantavirus cases of this outbreak, boarded on 1 April.
Dutch airline KLM said it had taken the Dutch woman off a plane in Johannesburg on 25 April due to her deteriorating medical condition. She died before she could reach the Netherlands.
According to broadcaster RTL, a KLM stewardess who had been in contact with her has been admitted to a hospital in Amsterdam after showing possible hantavirus symptoms.
Crew and passengers who helped the Dutch woman are being called daily for health checks, Dutch authorities told public broadcaster NOS.
Three patients were evacuated from the ship on Wednesday (6 May). Two have been admitted to a hospital in the Netherlands, while another was transferred to Germany for medical care.
Martin Anstee, an expedition guide, was one of the two evacuees in hospital in the Netherlands, according to Sky News, and told them he was "doing OK" but "there are still lots of tests to be done".
The Duesseldorf University Clinic, treating the German evacuee, said she was not a confirmed case but rather a contact and was undergoing tests.
In Switzerland, a man who travelled on the cruise ship and was admitted to a hospital tested positive for the infection, officials said.
A Danish citizen who was aboard the Hondius has returned home and has been advised to self-isolate as a precaution, Danish health authorities said.
In Canada, officials said that two Canadians on the cruise returned home before the outbreak was identified and another Canadian was on the same flight as a symptomatic person. All three are currently asymptomatic.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
The Democratic Republic of Congo says the number of confirmed Ebola cases has risen to nearly 4,500, including more than 2,060 deaths. Delayed detection, weak surveillance, funding shortages and conflict have allowed the virus to spread faster than in any previous epidemic at the same stage.
Australia warned on Monday (3 August) of a wider spread of H5N1 bird flu after its first confirmed mass mortality event among seabirds killed about 50 greater crested terns off the coast of South Australia, south of Adelaide.
Cancer patients in Sudan are struggling to access life-saving treatment as soaring medication costs, power shortages and damaged hospital infrastructure deepen the country's healthcare crisis after more than three years of war.
The world risks a resurgence of the HIV epidemic after international funding fell by nearly a fifth last year, according to a new report from UNAIDS, which warned that decades of progress against the disease could be reversed without renewed global support.
A global shift towards healthier diets, more efficient farming and reduced food waste could cut greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture-related land-use change by 85% by 2050, according to a study published last week in the journal Nature.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment